when do I uncover strawberry plants?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I live in zone 7b, just about 20 miles south of Charlotte NC and I'm wondering when I should uncover my strawberry plants I have in my raised bed or should I just let them grow through the 6 inches of leaves I put on them last fall, anyone have advise for me? :idunno

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually uncover mine, when I consider it "spring". They really are very hardy- and can handle cold very well. The purpose of covering them, is to prevent them from coming out of the ground in very hard freeze. Go take a peek at them- I bet they are green and ready to go!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa, spring around here comes around the 2nd or 3rd week in spring, can't wait! From what you say I do pull the leaves off the plants or do I let them grow through?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would get the leaves off there. I think leaving them there will only attract slugs, etc. and slow down the strawberries growth...

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't cover mine. Wasn't sure of I was supposed to or not. We had such a mild winter that I didn't want them rotting! They're still pretty green out there! Of course... after last nights 32 degree night and a couple of nights that have dropped into the teens... I kinda regret not covering them. :/

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I leave the leaves in place but, try to brush aside some to allow the leaves to poke thru some. Your 6" of leaves should have compressed to much less. I find weeding strawberries the worst of all,but probably because I have so many gardens it is always hard to get to them. The leaves will deter weeds and of course add to the tilth of the soil. I am in Ma. in zone 6 so I use a crop blanket in very early spring to help warm the soil and stimulate growth. I have a much better crop when I use this. I don't know if that would be a benefit to you in your zone.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I leave mine uncovered because I'm nuts! LOL

(Ok, I just forget!)

Mine already have little buds starting to form... or they were before yesterdays now they came on unexpectedly! UGH!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I leave mine uncovered because I'm nuts! LOL

(Ok, I just forget!)

Mine already have little buds starting to form... or they were before yesterdays now they came on unexpectedly! UGH!
Shew... I'm glad you don't cover either.... I was starting to think I did something wrong! ;)