When do seedlings need to be transplanted?

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have seedlings that were started in the peet pellet jiffy trays.
When do they need to be put into larger pots? How long can they continue to thrive in the peat pellet?

Thanks,
Christie :)

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, I figured on letting them grow (I have the same jiffy starter that you do) until they have a couple sets of real leaves, instead of just their initial leaves (the cotyledons).

Then *I* was going to transplant them into 2" fiber pots, and from there into 8oz plastic cups (I have a lot leftover from my wedding last year!) and from there into the ground.

I am zone 4 so I won't be able to put a lot of my seedlings into the ground until early to mid May, hence all the transplanting.

I don't feel comfortable transplanting baby plants as soon as they pop up. I'd rather let them grow a bit first.

But this is all just my own instinct and WAG-ging, I've never read anything that gave a good guideline. Maybe there's somebody out there who's done this before and can give us a clue?

Whitewater

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, I could use a clue...I have some seedlings that have several sets of leaves. My marigolds and I have tomatoes that are getting their 2 nd set of true leaves, but the tomatoes are in the larger peat pellets that were marked for tomatoes only 36 to a tray were the smaller peats are 72 to a try, so the tomatoes I think are ok yet for a little while, just not too sure about those little peats???
Christie :idunno

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mothergoose said:
Yep, I could use a clue...I have some seedlings that have several sets of leaves. My marigolds and I have tomatoes that are getting their 2 nd set of true leaves, but the tomatoes are in the larger peat pellets that were marked for tomatoes only 36 to a tray were the smaller peats are 72 to a try, so the tomatoes I think are ok yet for a little while, just not too sure about those little peats???
Christie :idunno
My brother would leave this in the peat and just plant them when it gets warm and I know other people who do this but I don't think the plants don't do well like this.

When the plants get there 2d set of true leaves then you should transplant into 3" pots. I use 8 oz styrofoam coffee cups. They are cheap and you can get them anyway. I also use plastic container for yogart, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc. Just make sure you put a couple of holes in the bottom.

When you transplant the tomatoes... plant them up to the leaves. Then when you transplant into the garden remove the bottom leaves (the first ones that popped up) and plant all the way up to your true leaves. Everything underground will produce roots and it will give them an awesome base to get nutrients.

Good luck, you sound like you are off to a really good start.

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you. I will get started transplanting them this weekend. Boy, do I have lots to do! I hope I can keep them all alive...this is were it starts getting hairy for me...never have been good at keeping indoor plants alive. Sure hope May gets here quick!
Thanks,

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mothergoose said:
Thank you. I will get started transplanting them this weekend. Boy, do I have lots to do! I hope I can keep them all alive...this is were it starts getting hairy for me...never have been good at keeping indoor plants alive. Sure hope May gets here quick!
Thanks,
When you transplant make sure you don't handle or damage to stems. If you have to touch the plant only hold the cotyledons. I use a flat plastic knife or spoon to move them.

After this transplant once they get establish you can start hardening them off if it isn't too cold. We are going to be in the 60's today here. Just start really slowly 1-2 hours at a time. Then even if you can't plant them in your garden you can have them outside during the day. Just bring them in if it is going to be too cold or move them somewhere protected.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
mothergoose , watch what you're planting this weekend. You're 2 hours north of me and we're expected to have snow Friday night and Saturday morning is gonna be chilly. :ep
Make sure that these are seedlings that can tolerate below freezing temperatures. Harden them off. Don't worry that they'll get too big inside. So... DON'T put any tomatoes out, yet! :D

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I transplanted tomatoes and peppers last year right into the garden in the pellets. The tomatoes were just getting their second set of leaves. They did great I had one pepper die and it was killed by trampling chicken feet :lol: .

I planted 8 tomatoes and 6 peppers in all.

Now don't ask about my seed starting success, I started many many more then those 8 and 6. :/

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
NOt to worry ducks4you...I am not moving anything outside yet, but when I do, it will go out in the greenhouse.
I am going to start repotting somemore plants this weekend.
I am very proud of my plants so far. I am having so much fun with this.
Keep all the advice and tips coming...I am soaking it all in like a sponge!!! :happy_flower
Christie :tools

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
warmfuzzies said:
I transplanted tomatoes and peppers last year right into the garden in the pellets. The tomatoes were just getting their second set of leaves. They did great I had one pepper die and it was killed by trampling chicken feet :lol: .

I planted 8 tomatoes and 6 peppers in all.

Now don't ask about my seed starting success, I started many many more then those 8 and 6. :/
My brother does this as well and is satisfied with the results. It really depends on what type of gardener you are.

I like the result I get from repotting but I know that the plants you buy are the store aren't transplanted and if they are you really pay for it.