When Do You Eat Salad ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My hubby did a lot of wood turning before arthritis took it's toll, I have a couple of his wooden salad bowls amongst other things, the trick is to give them a good coating of a beeswax/ mineral oil finish to protect them. I just rinse quickly after use and pat dry and give them a bit of a buff, when the wood feels dry apply another coat of beeswax and buff.

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mother had 2 salad bowls. A large stainless steel one for everyday, large glass one for holidays and company. I think her glass one was really a punch bowl.
I had to laugh when I read this. I have a large stainless every day bowl too. One of the wooden bowls I've only used once, it's made out of a maple burl and it's too pretty to use, the other is just an everyday but more often than not I just use the stainless steel, it depends on what kind of salad I'm making or if we're having company over for dinner:).

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My hubby did a lot of wood turning before arthritis took it's toll, I have a couple of his wooden salad bowls amongst other things, the trick is to give them a good coating of a beeswax/ mineral oil finish to protect them. I just rinse quickly after use and pat dry and give them a bit of a buff, when the wood feels dry apply another coat of beeswax and buff.

Annette

I use that mixture on my cutting boards too. We call it "spoon oil". Gently warm it up and apply and it will quickly soak in. Dry wood will crack and separate and ruin your bowls, Nyboy. If you're eating salads tossed with olive oil, I'd think that a light rinse with cold water would do the trick and the olive oil would help season the wood. That is how I do my cast iron pans to keep the seasoning from wearing off. If they need a scrub, use kosher salt and a little cold water. Dish soap is far too drying, so it makes sense to me. Goodness, just think what it has done to my hands! :eek: (I really should use gloves.)

Latest posts