when is the absolute latest...

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
....to plant peas in sone 7 and still have them produce anything worthwhile? anyone here planted a later pea crop?

....to plant more broccoli? do i have to wait for a fall harvest or do you think i can squeeze another one in now?

Thanks!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Haven't got a clue about the peas. But you will probably have to wait until the fall the get your next broc fix especialy if you are already picking it. I had thought about doing a second pea crop when I do my fall garden for the second round of broc and cabbage.

flinthillbillie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in zone 7 and am just putting my broccoli out. I'd say if you have the room to give it a try, go for it.
It's probably too late for peas. I planted 2 little rows in March and a month later I had 3 (yup, that's 'three') plants finally apppear. I'm going to wait til fall to try again.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted both sugar snap peas, and regular podding peas, as late as the 1st of June last year. (Circumstances prevented me from doing it any earlier.) I had problems with the snap peas, although we got a few meals, but they weren't as tasty as they usually are. The pod peas did just fine though, and I got a good crop. enough for fresh eating and canning. They were for the most part in the shadow of the corn rows, so that may have helped. I am in zone 8a so you should do alright in zone 7 if you get them started now.

I started my broccoli late as well last year, from seed, and the crop was quite poor. I blame the soil for the most part mind you, as it hadn't been properly worked with compost. It's not like they bolted because of the warm weather. June last year stayed quite cool, and wet as well.
This year I started the seedlings in the greenhouse, and have just planted the 5-6" plants outside.

Latest posts