when strawberries are done...

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Can the plants be mowed over, or do they need to be left alone the rest of the season? It's now a big weed patch along with the strawberry plants. I have too many other, currently producing areas of the garden to weed to keep up with it all.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mowed over?:/

I suspect that the plants would not be to keen on that approach, and may give up altogeather, and die off. Most perenials need a revivial time after producing, and they get that from the foilage helping draw nutrients from the air, down to their root system. I'm no expert on strawberries, buy I suspect that removing all the foilage would harm them dramatically.

Could mulch heavily around them, to kill off the weeds? Or how about transplanting them to a new bed that has been turned over, and is weed free? Then mulch that area to prevent future weed problems. Then you could go back and mow down the weeds. Keep in mind that if the weeds have gone to seed that mowing them will just disperse the seeds, and you will have more to deal with next year. As much work as it is, I still find it's better to pull them. Some of them propagate by root, and mowing them won't rid you of the problem.

I feel for you, as I have my own constant battle with weeds...:mad:

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is a more common practice to cut back strawberry plants in the late summer/early fall to allow the plant to put some energy in for next year. However, this should not be done if there isn't a good amount of time for the plants to grow back before a frost. If you do mow then make sure you don't cut the crown, it's the wide brown thing at the base right above the soil.

You can honestly leave them alone and they will be just fine. I'd especially recommend this if this is their first year.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I cut mine back to the "mother" plant in the fall when we are getting night temps in the low 50's. I dig up the runners and transplant them into new rows or give them away or add them to the compost pile. Then straw around the plants with a little on top and let them rest for the winter.

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll just trim the weeds down to the same height as the strawberries for now, to reduce the unsightliness of the area. I did nothing about the weeds there last year, and had a bumper crop of strawberries this spring, so I guess you're right, they'll do just fine.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The one upside is the weeds will help protect them when it starts to get cold.

Latest posts