When to harvest various veggies!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

This year my grandma and I went a little crazy and bought lots of veggies that we know nothing about! I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on when these veggies would be ready to be picked.

Green Zebra Tomatoes: We have one plant and it is loaded. I know which fruit came on first, and it isnt that large, but I've heard they dont get very big. Could anyone tell me when to start pickin?

DeArbol Peppers: This plant is covered in peppers, and I picked a couple today. I wasnt sure if they were ready, but I grabbed the two largest ones anyways. Do they get any bigger than pencil thin? lol

Yummy Peppers: Weird name, I know, but that is what they were listed as! It says they are a great stuffer, so I figure they get bigger than they are now. Could anyone clue me in on this?

Mohawk Hybrid Peppers: Again, just a random one we grabbed. It said they are a bell-like pepper, but the plant is short and stubby, and is COVERED in peppers. Nothing like my Bells!

Also, I have a Red Bell, will they turn red on the plant, or after I pick them? I should know this, but I dont , LOL. I have one on the plant that is pretty big, but still solid green.

I think that pretty much covers it, I would appreciate any help. :D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, Jordan, you guys really went all out.

theOEGBman said:
Green Zebra Tomatoes: We have one plant and it is loaded. I know which fruit came on first, and it isnt that large, but I've heard they dont get very big. Could anyone tell me when to start pickin?
It's great to see you growing this great heirloom! You're right they stay small. They usually turn a rich green color with the stripes being very dark green when they're ready. It's kind of tricky but you'll notice when they look ready. They should be light green, they yellowish then harvest ready green.

DeArbol Peppers: This plant is covered in peppers, and I picked a couple today. I wasnt sure if they were ready, but I grabbed the two largest ones anyways. Do they get any bigger than pencil thin? lol
Not really, pencil thin is about right. Wait until they're about 3 inches long.

Yummy Peppers: Weird name, I know, but that is what they were listed as! It says they are a great stuffer, so I figure they get bigger than they are now. Could anyone clue me in on this?
Your guess is as good as mine. I'm thinking when they're about 5-6 inches long?

Mohawk Hybrid Peppers: Again, just a random one we grabbed. It said they are a bell-like pepper, but the plant is short and stubby, and is COVERED in peppers. Nothing like my Bells!
They ripen to orange at about 4-5 inches long. You can pick them green also at that size.

Also, I have a Red Bell, will they turn red on the plant, or after I pick them? I should know this, but I dont , LOL. I have one on the plant that is pretty big, but still solid green.
They can turn red on the plant or off. Since you're growing specifically for the red color and flavor, leave them on and let them ripen. A good rule of thumb is to remember that the more you pick the peppers while they are still green the longer they will continue to produce, in general. This may not be true for some of the newer hybrid varieties.

Good luck!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Carlos!

We really did go all out,lol. We just grabbed what sounded fun and ran before we could second guess ourselves! That is a ton of help, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to pass this on to my grandma. I accidentally knocked a green zebra off the plant today, so she ate it. I hate tomatoes, lol. She said it was very bland like a Yellow Pear, which she HATES, but she said the 2nd bite had more flavor. I've noticed some are getting a lighter green behind the stripes, we'll see. Thanks, I appreciate your help.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could try frying those tomatoes, in a little olive oil, with salt and pepper. Fryed green tomatoes are worth a try. Have them for breakfast along with some free range eggs, and hash brown potato's.:p mmmmm

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh boy, we're talking about frying green tomatoes! :D

They can also be dredged in a little flour, or a mix of flour and corn meal, and fried. Take out, put onto a platter to drain on paper towels, and salt then; serve immediately.

They are good just as a snack, too, or with dinner.

Pluuuus, you can slice your small patty pan squash, slice them, skin and all, and treat them the same way. Dredge, fry in olive oil, remove, salt and eat. The outsides should be crisp, the inside soft.

*I will not pick my green tomatoes until I'm eating lots of red ones; I will not pick my green tomatoes until I'm eating lots of red ones; I will not....* heck, I'll be back, I'm going to go and have fried green tomatoes! :D

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bills, I never thought of that! I dont like tomatoes at all, but my grandma loves them. She really loves Fried Green Tomatoes, so Im sure she would love to try this.

Tutter, my dad usually mixes all of the squash and zuchinni together and fries it, so unless you look for color, you dont know what is what when you eat it,lol.

Latest posts