When to pick

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have a question about lazy housewife beans... want to dry the beans for later

Have read to pick the pods when green and shell and then have read to pick the pods once they turn yellow and then read to pull up the whole plant and hang to dry?

What’s the proper way?

Also as anyone caned them as a green bean and if so how did they taste

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Start reading at post #410 in this thread for dried beans. It goes on for a while.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threa...n-saving-amazing-heirloom-beans.21746/page-41

Do not pick them green. It's best to let them fully mature (that means the pod dries out and turns brown) before you pick them but if rain threatens after they get close, pick them.

If frost it threatening and the beans are not mature you can pull up the plant and hang it. As it dries the beans will mature some more, maybe enough to plant them. But that is kind of a desoperate measure.

I have no idea if they are a decent green bean or not. You might ask on that bean thread.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
no experience with those particular beans.

i leave everything on the plant as long as there are no other issues.

if there are a lot of chipmunks or mice raiding i'll pick sooner. also if there is rain threatening or if they are too close to the ground and i actually can see them...

if i have a real bumper crop coming on i'll leave some of the earliest alone on several plants because those are the ones i want to select from as much as i can for future planting (early is good up here in the north country).

Latest posts