When to plant garlic

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When am I supposed to plant garlic in SW Michigan?? I tried growing it a few years ago but we had a very warm winter and I think it grew before spring or something...

I heard it's supposed to planted in the fall...am I right?

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yup - usually right before your first frost date. Here in MA (zone 6) that's around the end of October.

Ours did some sprouting during a Janaury thaw last year, but they still turned out just fine.

~Phyllis

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am going to give it a try for the first time this year. I am thinking of just using store bought heads split to plant. Think that will work?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi--I had my first bumper garlic crop this year. They ARE easy to grow. My only concern about storebought is that maybe they get treated to not sprout (like potatoes). Do you have any garlic growers by you? I didn't think I did until I went to our local farmer's market. Ask around. You can get very reasonably priced garlic that is known to grow in your area by buying it locally. Good luck!

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is how I got my start of elephant garlic, bought it at Ingles Grocery store.

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I planted mine at the beginning of October last year, and they did great. I seriously have not found an easier veggie to grow. :)
I can not grow Garlic. It fails every year. What is your secret??
Candy

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There's a garlic "bible" and it might even be named that, "The Garlic Bible" or maybe something like "Growing Great Garlic." Actually, let me just give you this link:
www.organicgardening.com/featureprint/1,7759,s1-5-16-231,00.html. If you can't find it for some reason, please post here again and I'd be glad to pass on the details.

Good luck! It really IS easy. I first got my soil more fertile last year by sprinkling in 1 box of dried blood and 1 box of bone meal, working it in the first couple inches of soil. Then, I planted my garlic in 5-foot-wide beds with walking aisles between. It was only my second year trying it, but the 600 bulbs are beauties!

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link and the information. I will try it again this year. It is almost time, I will run down to the farmers market and get some bulbs to plant. Thank you again!:rainbow-sun

Latest posts