When to start cool season crops?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Fall planting post got me thinking about winter planting. My first frost date is 11/12 so I know I can squeeze in another round of warm season crops as I have 16 weeks (or 112 days.)

But how do I determine when is the right time to start seeds of cool weather crops...can anyone give me some advice?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did...hehehehe...that is what got me thinking and realized how much I don't know about it! That is why I posted a separate thread :)

chastam

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm new to this forum but love reading all the post. You guys have helped me without even knowing it :p As I've been lurking for awhile. :cool:
I've been excited about my fall crop and it soon will be time to start. I found this info that might help clear up a few questions (I hope)

To determine the time to plant a particular vegetable for the latest harvest in your area, you need to know the average date of the first killing frost and the number of days to maturity for the variety you are growing. Choose earliest maturing varieties for late plantings. The formula below for determining the number of days to count back from the first frost will help determine when to start your fall garden.

Number of days from seeding or transplanting outdoors to harvest
+ Number of days from seed to transplant if you start your own seed
+ Average harvest period
+ Fall Factor (about two weeks)
+ Frost Tender Factor (if applicable) (two weeks)
= Days to count back from first frost date

I hope this makes sense to you and it is of some help.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Chastam, very good info.

Where I am still struggling (maybe I am just plain stupid) is determining when to start my cool season crops. I understand how to squeeze in one more summer crop as you described, but I am not sure when it is appropriate to start my cool season veggies.

Maybe my situation is just different than most as I have such a long growing season!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just found the 'year round gardener' at the library-it has many good ideas and advice-check it out...

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dace, I lived in Southern California most of my life, before moving up here, and you can plant most of them in September.

Mind you, conditions may be harsher in any given year. If it stays hot a really long time, things might bolt. But generally, for you, September is about right. :)

(I don't know how much you are planting, but I hedge my bets and start many fall crops in containers. They have less tendency to bolt in the "nursery" than if I put them right out in the garden. But wait and put garlic in directly in October.)

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Excellent Tutter...thank you!

I do not plan to plant too much. I only have a 100sq foot garden bed and everything else is crammed in here and there in my flower beds...just getting ready to dig up an area for another crop of corn, more melons and some potatoes. Frankly I don't even know WHERE I will put my fall/winter crops, all I know is that where there is a will, there is a way!

Latest posts