when to start mustard?

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hello! i have some "oriental greens jiu tou niao mustard" seed. i got it from baker creek/rareseeds.com
but i cant seem to figure when to plant it... the packet says it is not heat tolerant and will bolt similar to cabbage. also same for frosts. does best in spring or fall conditions. matures in 45 days, heading varieties in 60-75 days. this is not a heading variety.
so i'm thinking plant it about 3 weeks before last frost indoors, transplant to garden after last frost.
or i could start it in the house and transplant to garden in like august.
and what i read for my area is last frost date is guessed at april 27, and first frost date guessed at october 23.
anyone have a suggestion?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree. It is a cool season crop and an easy one. It can withstand a little cold. Start indoors and set out for earlier harvest and to avoid bolting. I would even sew them 1 week apart for staggered harvest.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always just direct sow mustard greens outdoors when the soil is workable. They can tolerate a little cold and still grow well.
They mature so early that I think it would be better to direct sow than start indoors. They might actually bolt if kept for too long indoors.

Hope this helps! ;)

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hm... think i may direct sow some and start some indoors. see which works better.
thanks!