When to start planting website?

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been googling but I'm just not using the right keywords and can't find myself a site that lists when you start different veggies for zone 4. If anyone has a favorite site I would REALLY appreciate it. Normally I'm google savy but I think I'm just tired :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trying to use minimum WINTER temperatures (hardiness zones) to schedule growing season activities may be a little tuff.

Can you find your city in this Weather Service freeze/frost information? Using the "Select a State(PDF)" is probably the best.

Probably a gardener should use the 50% probability of 32F date - if it looks like a normal spring to you this year. That will be the average date of last spring frost.

This is a planting guide from Purdue University. The information looks real good to me for starting plants indoors even if it isn't my state, nor yours either ;).

Happy planting :)!

Steve

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got a lot of info from my county extention office..

they even reminded me NOT to cut back all my winter dead plants till the middle of this month because of frost.. I had that incling and pushed it till the middle of march.. :hu now why cant the weeds get killed off by the frost?? :idunno

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
now why cant the weeds get killed off by the frost?? :idunno
I just learned that is because the germinate new seeds in the spring. I was told to treat the lawn for weeds about the time that Lilac blooms.... that is their germination time!!!

We're going to try that this year. Though Lilac doesn't grow here, so we'll be doing it the last week of March.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks so much you are all always so helpful! Gardening is such a learning process, but it's so exciting.

Latest posts