when to start plants?

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i have lots of plants that need started but i'm not sure when i should start them...
tomatoes
peppers
amaranth
broccoli
cauliflower
melons
spinach
quinoa
and the herbs:
mustard
anise
basil
catnip
chives
cilantro
echinacea
feverfew
chamomile
lavender
thyme
yarrow
calendula
mugwort
and anyone eveer grown soapwort or aureus yellow lupine (wildflower)?
thanks!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
March - 22nd-23rd Excellent Time For Planting Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now, And For Starting Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

April - 5th-6th Favorable For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, Tomatoes, Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops.

Chris

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're close to my area. So check out this .pdf garden calendar by the WVU extension service or look to see if Ohio State U. has a similar one out. That is what I go by, for the most part.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you starting them indoors or outdoors? For some of that stuff, such as broccoli, it is probably too late to start from seeds and get optimum production in your zone. The transplants should be going into the ground pretty soon. With melons indoors, it is probably too soon to start. Melons are very susceptible to frost. With tomatoes and peppers, I'd say in your zone it is time to start the seeds indoors. I'm a little earlier than you and started my peppers and tomatoes three weeks ago, but I think you still have time for those.

Your county extension agent should have some information for your area. You might discuss it with the agent. You should be able to find the phone number in the phone book under county government.

Editted to add:

This site might help you. I'm on the border of zones 6 and 7, so the dates I get using my zip code need to be adjusted a little, but this is not that bad to use as a base to work from.

http://www.burpee.com/gygg/growingCalendarNoZipCode.jsp

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Assuming your starting seeds indoors.

March - 22nd-23rd and April - 5th-6th are your best planting dates I will also say it is way to early for planting outdoors here in Ohio.
Average last date for frost.
Akron 5/21
Athens 5/31
Cincinnati 4/29
Cleveland 5/18
Columbus 5/9
Dayton 4/27
Lima 5/19
Sandusky 4/29
Toledo 5/16
Youngstown 5/24
As for the vegetables you had listed here are the vegetable you listed with a average days of germination.
Tomatoes - 5 to 12 days
Peppers - 5 to 14 days
Broccoli - 5 to 20 days
Cauliflower - 5 to 20 days
Melons - 5 to 12 days

What type of Tomatoes ,Peppers , Broccoli, Cauliflower and Melons are you planing on planting? Do you know the days to maturity?
If you planting seeds I would say that you would have plenty of time for any of the vegetable to mature and produce a good crop before first killing frost.

Chris

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
peppers are golden marconi and emerald giant
tomatoes are mama leone and tonadose des conores
brussel sprouts are long island improved
broccoli are calabrese green sprouting
melons are amreican melon honeymoon and melon iroquois

the melons say to start inside 2-3 weeks before last frost
broccoli says 4-6 weeks
brussel sprouts say 4-6 weeks