Where and how to plant the Pomagranite

confuzzled

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My mom bought a couple of pomagranite bushes from a website that says they can grow in zone 7 (our zone). Since most places say pomagranite only grows in zone 8 or warmer, mom wants to plant the bushes on the south side of the property. The south side of the property is heavy clay and I've read on here that you never want to amend the soil for bushes and trees because then they might not send their roots further out. I read that this is especially important in clay. Here are my questions:

1. We want to know for sure, should we amend the soil or not?
2. Should we just break up the soil in a large area around where we plant the bushes?
3. Mom is thinking about planting one of the bushes right next to the chicken coop (no chickens yet), would this be a problem if nitrogen leaks from the chicken run with heavy rains? (the bush would be within 10' of the run).

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi confuzzled - here is my experience with my pomegranate. I live in zone 8 and also have heavy clay. I've had my pomegranate tree around 9 years now and it is indeed planted on the south side of my property in clay, but produces beautifully every year. I did not amend the soil at all when I planted. I say go ahead and plant on the south side, don't amend the soil, but keep it well watered.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Hi confuzzled - here is my experience with my pomegranate. I live in zone 8 and also have heavy clay. I've had my pomegranate tree around 9 years now and it is indeed planted on the south side of my property in clay, but produces beautifully every year. I did not amend the soil at all when I planted. I say go ahead and plant on the south side, don't amend the soil, but keep it well watered.
I have one in a pot indoors, I wonder if I can set it out for the summer and bring in this fall without hurting it. It has a 2" pomegrante on it now, and its only about a year old.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
Southern Gardener said:
I have one in a pot indoors, I wonder if I can set it out for the summer and bring in this fall without hurting it. It has a 2" pomegrante on it now, and its only about a year old.
I don't see why not. I'd leave it outside until cold weather hits.

Latest posts