where are the posts?

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
this section is my current favorite. I love reading about y'all harvesting, preserving, & recipes. no action recently. I guess maybe it's too hot.
I saw a picture on Houzz.com & they had a kitchen counter full of apples as if a basket had been upended. it made me think of you lucky ones in the north that get wonderful apples in the fall. I even bought a room scent called "apples" today. what's y'all favorite apples and why? what do you do with them?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite apple for fresh eating is Gravenstein. We do not have one in our yard though, we do have an Idared, granny smith, and a Gala Though...:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to regularly make apple butter from my Northern Spy trees that I moved to Dad's backyard in the 70's. It seemed like the best use for them and I had a "special" recipe adapted from the Ball canning book :p. One of those trees may still be in that backyard . . .

I grew up with a Newton Pippen but didn't care much for them until much, much later. These days, I go for the Gala and was happy to see this new introduction Honeycrisp show up :).

DW insists on using Golden Delicious for apple pie. So did my mother :cool:. It was her recipe - I think from an ancient Good Housekeeping cookbook. We still have pieces & parts of that cookbook.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit, my mother had one of those recipe books too, I think it was from the 1940's or '50's. Not sure, but I think my sister Laurie has it now.

When I was a little kid, like 7 or so, everyone else was outside or something, and I made a batch of peanut butter cookies. I had a nice mess going when mom came in the house. After a long and protracted rear end chewing, my sisters cooked them. They were good! I got to do the fork press on them. That page in the cookbook remained the messiest page in the whole book!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
apples are just starting to ripen at one of the local pick your own farms, i think they said $1.25/lb which is really good for fresh off the tree around here! i got peaches and some nectarines and just got home about 30 minutes ago with about 20 something lbs to can! their price is decent at $1.69/lb! they smell so nice, taste even better! i may go back and get some other varieties in a couple weeks when those ripen.

i wish my own peach and apple trees were old enough to produce for me this year, but all in time i will be getting lots of fruit from them! i have to say my favorite apples have to be the red delicious and Cripp's pink (aka Pink Lady), though i found one at a farmers market last winter called Blushing Golden that was comparable to those two. i'm just happy i found this year some Cripp's Pink trees that will grow in my zone! i bought 6 trees and gave 1 to the neighbor across the street, and the plan was to give 2 to my sister for her yard in MA but so far i have the 5 remaining trees growing in my yard waiting for her to make up her mind if she really wants them. :rolleyes: they were supposed to be a b-day gift that she said she wanted last year. guess she'll just have to come up and harvest from my trees when they start producing. :lol:

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
are apple trees long lived? if I could pick my favorite, it would be a crisp juicy apple with a hint of tartness.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apple trees do live a long time, compared to other fruit. Like about 35 years to 100 years.

The Cripps Pink that Chickie mentioned tastes like that BJ, sweet and tangy. The Honeycrisp is similar if I remember right. I hope to get something off mine next year. It's been in the ground about 4 years now I think.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
this section is my current favorite. I love reading about y'all harvesting, preserving, & recipes. no action recently. I guess maybe it's too hot.
I saw a picture on Houzz.com & they had a kitchen counter full of apples as if a basket had been upended. it made me think of you lucky ones in the north that get wonderful apples in the fall. I even bought a room scent called "apples" today. what's y'all favorite apples and why? what do you do with them?
Not too hot here, just too busy harvesting and preserving to post. Getting caught up this morning before I cut the grass...again.

I love crisp, tart-sweet apples. Jonathan, MacIntosh, Granny Smith are my top picks. I have a Jonathan that is bearing for the first time this year and a Fuji which won't bear for a few years yet. I planted the Fuji as a pollinator for the Jonathan after the County came through with the city sewer line and cut down the wild growing apple tree on the back of my property :he They did it while I was at work. I was furious to say the least.

Latest posts