Where can i get greenhouse fabric?

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we have an old a frame swing set that we want ito turn Into a greenhouse. Has anyone done this before and have advice?
Where can I get greenhouse fabric? what other supplies might I need?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would just use the green house plastic, and maybe get some 2x4's to create extra supports. But it sounds like a good plan, I haven't done anything like this so I can't really give sound advice.

Post some photos... maybe people can help you get creative!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you are refering to the plastic as fabric you can buy 6mil plastic at lowes or home depot BUT it is not UV treated and will only last a year or 2 if you are lucky.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes i would go with plastic, i use it every year for my greenhouse and it works great. Lowes or Home Depot should have it.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW....talk about a greenhouse frame "hiding in plain sight". This idea has a LOT of potential....especially, with 2 frames.
I L I K E it.

Gotta do some pondering. No tellin' how many swingset frames I have passed, sitting at the curb, for pickup. Betcha, I don't let the next 2 get away.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The company I have most often seen recommended (at least up here) is http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/ , you might browse their website.

6mil 'vapor barrier' plastic from the home improvement store will last a year or maybe year and a half, IME, depending where you live. You'd want to work out the economics and think about whether that is a good deal for you.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
If you are refering to the plastic as fabric you can buy 6mil plastic at lowes or home depot BUT it is not UV treated and will only last a year or 2 if you are lucky.
I hope this isnt a stupid question but...UV treated? Is that important? Will it affect the plants?

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
6520_mail6.jpg

Here is a picture of my A frame swing set. It is 12' wide 9' tall and 8.5' deep. It even has hooks on the top bar from the swings so I can have hanging plants :)
I found 6mil plastic at the hardware store 10'x100' for $50, its a little pricey, but I figure it will cover it several times so 1 roll will last at least several years!! I havent bought the plastic yet and will keep searching for more ideas or cheaper options on craigslist or garage sales!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
UV resistant "only" matters in terms of lifespan of the material... it does not affect the plants (for a given % light transmission -- obviously different materials do have somewhat different % transmission, but that is not related to UV protxn)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts