Where can I get rabbit wire?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On all the blogs and rabbit cage plans I see 1X1/2 inch wire recommended as the floor since it lets the poo through better than 1/2X1/2 wire but I can't find a source for it. Can anyone help me out?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw something like that with rectangle holes either at the local Lowe's or OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) sometime within the past 6 months but I could be wrong..

A quick google search for (hardware cloth rectangle 1/2 1") gets the following :

These guys claim to make it : http://www.directmetals.com/dm/wire_hardwarecloth.asp

(look down the page for "1/2 x 1 mesh .063" diameter wire"

Here's another : http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/product/~category=TWPCAT_14/~product_id=1X_1_2W0630W48T

Hope that helps!

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got mine at Lowes. Sure wish I could find it cheaper though. I need several SEVERAL rolls.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I don't have any trouble with the poo not falling through the smaller wire. What I DO have trouble with is bucks popping the welds just for fun.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the idea of stainless at least for the floor since that is where the corrosion problem is but boy that stuff is pricey, especially the shipping due to the weight. I think I'll check at Lowes first. Home Depot never has it. I only need the 1X1/2 for the floor. I can use the 1/2X1/2 for the rest so cats can't squeeze a paw through to hurt the young bunnies. I have a lot of stray cats around and don't discourage them since they take care of any mice that come around but I wish they'd quit killing the alligator lizards that eat my snails and slugs.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a hutch that I built about 10 years ago All I could find was the 1/2x1/2" also. I used it for the floor it seems to work great. Every once in a while I have to scrape some off that hangs up but not often. Are you getting rabbits for the fertilizer or food or both? It is suprizing how much a few rabbits can produce. Also they are a quiet and clean animal. I would like to hear more about your plans for rabbits and what kind you plan to get?

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My summer cages are all wire. I read advice somewhere to build them several inches taller than you want so when the lower part becomes damaged you just clip it off and replace that only.

I'm glad I did. Due to popped welds I'm going to cut down the cages and replace the floors and several inches up the walls with the heavier 1/2 x 1.

I have only had bucks do it so far, but they will do it during the grow out phase as well, so I now have most of my cages needing patching.

Just thought I'd toss that out in case it's helpful. :)

vegie chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
our sheep grating has holes that are small enough to firt ur pinky in but it is heavy and designed for sheep

our shearing sheds have it really isnt all that cheap

i wold look for metal engineering shops/ workshops etc

our local one has a whole catalouge that has the different sizes of mesh he can order from

they can also cut it to size if u can t do it

metal or sheet fabrication centres have whole depots of most meshes you can think of

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I got mine at Lowes. Sure wish I could find it cheaper though. I need several SEVERAL rolls.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I don't have any trouble with the poo not falling through the smaller wire. What I DO have trouble with is bucks popping the welds just for fun.
Thanks for the tip. I had to try two different Lowes but I found a roll of it there. It's a 30 foot roll so it should make all the floor I want. Now I have to get off my duff and make the cages.

Latest posts