Where did you come from?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stupid title, I know. Blame subject matter on Mary. Saw where she was born in Ohio, ended up in CA. So where has life led you?

For me, born, raised in East central Illinois. Move to NE Indiana 37+ years ago, haven't moved.

Now you?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in eastern Idaho, mom and dad followed a job opportunity to San Diego where I grew up, and now I'm back in my home state but farther north. :) Very happy to be here too!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born and raised in east Tennessee, not far from Cumberland Gap, on a subsistence farm. I just call it a dirt farm. Our cash crops were tobacco and cattle. I was not in the mountains, those were maybe 3 miles to the north. I hesitate to say we were in the hills, those people were considered kind of flatlanders. if you have ever watched the movie "Sergeant York" you might understand the difference. Lets say I was in ridge country.

After high school, I went to college, worked a year, went to college, served a tour in the army, then graduated college with a BS degree in Civil Engineering. I then went to work for a Major well-known oil company that no longer exists mainly designing, building, installing, modifying, working on, and removing offshore oil and gas platforms, starting in South Louisiana but working and living in Europe, Africa, Asia, and occasionally Texas along the way. My main home was outside New Orleans.

When I retired in 2007 we moved here to Northwest Arkansas, on a couple of acres a few miles outside a small town with a post office, grocery store and an Ace Hardware but within easy driving distance to Fayetteville, a reasonable sized city with lots of shopping, medical, an entertainment options and a University to keep ideas stirred up. It's perfect. Many of my neighbors are right wing reactionaries and the University provides enough radical left wingers to keep things stirred up. Plenty of entertainment in the letters to the editor in the local newspaper.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, you need to mention your grandparents' home in the South to let folks know where that southern envy comes from: LINK.

I am a westerner. I was born about as far west as one can get in California in a little city where they probably wouldn't allow me to drive through in the old Dodge, these days. After leaving Carmel-by-the-Sea, we lived for a couple years on my grandmother's little farm in the Central Valley.

Then, it was further north to our own farm about 50 miles as the crow flies from the most western point of the 48 states. And, there were only 48 when I showed up in the Rogue River Valley of Oregon.

It was back to northern California and redwood country for awhile but I've been up here on both sides of the Idaho/Washington border for well over 40 years. There has been a fair amount of water under the bridge during all of that time . . .

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Born on Catawba Island somewhere off of the coast of northern Ohio in Lake Erie. After that I was raised in Sandusky Co. in northern Ohio. And I am still being raised in Richland Co, only a few counties south. We moved here three years ago.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grew up in Ripley, WV, home of the biggest small town 4th of July celebration in the US. Went to college to study biochemistry at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA and briefly lived in Killeen, TX for no particularly good reason. Eventually ended up moving back home and now live one county over from where I was born and raised.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Steve. Dad's family from tenn/Alabama border that were dirt farmers on small acreage living off land with hogs, dairy cow, chickens, fruit trees, huge garden, hunting, and wild fruit.

Mom's family, northern farming and dairy. In one of many farming recessions, we left farm-sad situation.

So I end up in AG. Couldn't get me anywhere near dairy!!!! Love dairy cows but want none of work, headaches, etc.

Ridge, very interesting life.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beloit birth place, Beloit address. I've moved several times from street to street on the west side of Beloit. Now I am in rural Beloit, about 11 miles from the hospital (it's now senior housing) of my birth. Big world traveler I am not!

Latest posts