Where do you get your seeds???

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've been trying to stay local for a lot of seed companies the past couple years FedCo, Pinetree both in Maine have been my top choices. when i can get Johnny's, Seed Savers Exchange, and Botanical Interests from my local greenhouse or feed store. Baker Creek seems to get some of my money each year-neat varieties i've never seen or can't get anywhere else. i have a few people i get seeds from each year on ebay too. one guy in OH that has a website by the name ohioheirloomseeds.com but sometimes i get a cheaper price through his ebay store.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, you just have to get a Baker Creek Catalog. They are beautiful creations, designed to make you want to buy one of everything. I buy from them and Johnny's. Also, you might want to check around your area for garden centers that are not the "chains." They often have bulk seed, and package it up there. You won't get the fancy pack, but you will get a real bargain. And if you find a store like that, the clerks there will usually really know their stuff.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I stopped by Baker Creek's website today! I probably got A LOT more than what I should have, but I'll be able to do a (late, as usual) fall garden and bought some other stuff that I just couldn't help but try. YAY! :celebrate Now... to wait...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ccheek, most seed can be kept from one year to the next, and some for years and years. I have been told that onion seed won't keep, nor parsnips, but if you buy other seeds now, you can freeze them and use them for years. Just make sure to use air tight packaging in the freezer.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome @so lucky. I'm sure going to try it :fl I also have a friend who said that she would trade some seeds with me when I told her I ordered so much. :weee

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@so lucky and @jackb, will you please give some pointers on how to save those seeds? Packaging, how cold, when to set out for the next year... any tips and tricks kinda things? I would love to get to where I don't have to buy seeds unless I want to try something new. I've searched on this forum, but only found one or two threads about saving seeds.

Latest posts