where do you grow dill?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am fighting the urge to scatter dill seeds behind the well house, because that's where it always was at Grandma's when I was growing up. :)

I think she just let it go to seed out there and harvested it when it was time to make pickles.

I remember that it gets fairly tall and bushy. It doesn't seem like something well behaved enough to put in a raised bed.

Where do you grow your dill?

-Wendy

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got mine out in a corner of the main garden. You're right--it doesn't behave itself well...LOL It reseeds very easily, which I guess technically is a good thing. Once you've got it started, you've got it for life. ;) So, I let mine pop up every spring, choose a few of the best seedlings to keep and till/weed out the others.

Really, I gotta say how much I do appreciate things that reseed themselves. If it weren't for volunteers, I wouldn't have anything in my big garden right now, due to the wet weather.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure that some of the very first weed seedlings I began to notice yesterday - are dill :).

They will probably be in the onions since those went out before any seeds, weed or otherwise, had germinated. A few can be tolerated there but the onions are kind of cheek by jowl. Where scallions will be pulled early, the straight-up-and-down dill can be allowed. Until pulled to be diced for mixing with a salad dressing :cool:.

Usually, in areas where I have to allocate more space to plants, some of the dill will get a toe hold and dodge the tiller. They fit in with vining crops and especially like to grow in the wetter ground near the sprinkler line where the cukes are planted. Funny how it works out this way ;).

Steve

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it ends up just cooking in our summer sun.
Kind of like me. Once it hits 95, you might as well stick a fork in me, I'm done!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Well, like chives, I'm dill challenged.
Every year I try, and every year I fail.
Bother.
:)
Sorry to hear that :( I always have dill everywhere . I usually leave it where it comes in. Has moved all over the garden at will. A lot of it winds up tilled under each time the garden is planted though.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a small area right by the back door where our dill grows every year. This spot is perfect as it is not good for much of anything else. I absolutely love the aroma from the dill when it starts to go to seed. It takes me back to my childhood.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would suggest a dedicated patch of ground that is reasonably far away from anywhere you'd be likely to plant OTHER umbelliferous plants (fennel, anise, carrots, etc) just so that you do not have to figure out which tiny sprouts are carrots etc and which are self-seeded dill :)

Pat

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So does this mean dill likes shade? I have a 2x2 box that gets AM sun, but not PM. I was going to move it, but if I could plant some dill there, that would be wonderful. Can I plant a few flowers in the front of the box. I have a few marigolds and a few impatiens that need planting.

Latest posts