Where I'm coming from . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
my+typewriter.jpg

Yep, that's it. The carriage was moved by the little hook at the very edge of the photo. You see, it didn't have that arm for return that later models had. You just had to catch it with your index finger and pull it back to the right.

I wanted the one with the arm but had to wait until I was applying for graduate school and bought an electric! Whoa, no arm!

Now, I have a tablet . . . I'm typing with just 1 of my digitS'! May as well be back with the underwood in junior high!

Learning to use the kindle tablet is . . . shoot . . . Imma gettin' it! Learning to look at the keys with 1 eye and watch the "predictive text display!" Workin' it!

So they've got a bluetooth keyboard for this. Gooolly! I wonder what that's like to carry around. Well, there was no carrying around the Underwood . . .

Steve

1lg099Mining_zps6a67fced.gif

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you are more modernized than I am. I still don't have an I-phone or Smart-phone, an I-pad, tablet or kindle.
I am still on my lap-top, which is old. My DH is still on a desk top computer that is probably 10 years old. We're not gonna be dragged into the 21st century till we're good and ready!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup! I wrote all my reports and term papers on one much like that typewriter. . mine (er..um..Dad's) typewriter had the return arm, though.

While there is a lot to be said for the "good ole days", I eagerly embraced the 'puter and its word processor when PCs came out. SO much easier! No desire to turn back time on this advance.

The only benefit to that typewriter was being able to work on a paper during an electrical outage; while the drawbacks were too numerous to list.

I am close to so lucky. . a dinosaur in today's society. Lap top? Nope! I have neither Ipad, Smart phone, tablet, electronic reader, or 'pod' for music. My (very simple) cell phone - a gift from DS - has less than 36 hours use in 9 years and most of that from when I lent it to DS while his was broken.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The risk is a widening gulf . . . An auditory gulf was enuf.

I finagled my way into being able to use the department's word processor and printer, to complement my Smith Corona. Using the cast off computer every time a rich friend bought herself a new one thru the '90's.

Always, a half mile behind but catching up, it seems. The "apps" -- have you been exposed to the new new conversational email? Want to leave email behind? Yahoo just told me they were changing. Gotta jump ahead. Pay to stay with 20th century obsolete? I think not!

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only high tech piece of technology that I have is the xbox, which we're all addicted to (except mom). I've never owned any type of pod or cell phone; there's not really a need to! I do have a PC that I'm typing on right now.

You should get used to the tablet. I've been on my sister's a time or to, I can mostly figure it out but there are still some confusing parts.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you are more modernized than I am. I still don't have an I-phone or Smart-phone, an I-pad, tablet or kindle.
I am still on my lap-top, which is old. My DH is still on a desk top computer that is probably 10 years old. We're not gonna be dragged into the 21st century till we're good and ready!
S Lucky. that would be me! Still using my desk top. DH has a smart phone, TWO lap tops and a Blue Tooth! (Well they did come with his new job.) I still have no kindle, tablet or any such. Some days I think I would like to have an Underwood again!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The risk is a widening gulf . . . An auditory gulf was enuf.

I finagled my way into being able to use the department's word processor and printer, to complement my Smith Corona. Using the cast off computer every time a rich friend bought herself a new one thru the '90's.

Always, a half mile behind but catching up, it seems. The "apps" -- have you been exposed to the new new conversational email? Want to leave email behind? Yahoo just told me they were changing. Gotta jump ahead. Pay to stay with 20th century obsolete? I think not!

Steve
Oh.. O.K. I would miss my PC and email. How else would I converse with all my friends that live in this here gizmo!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee, I don't like the new email but I'm wondering if it is more me than it!

Since I have only been messing with it for a few days, I imagine that it is me. Old dog new tricks, you know. I'm willing to struggle awhile. My paid email is old style. I'd like to think that I will be asking for an upgrade!

What is old sometimes becomes new again. My hats seem to be in style with high school kids! And, this predictive text on this tablet is how I learned to text 10 years ago.

After all, that Underwood had a qwerty keyboard!

Steve

Latest posts