where on the internet is a good place to buy a mulberry tree?

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DH has wonderful memories playing in his great aunt's mulberry tree as a youngin. Now that we own a house he wants one of his very own... small problem, none of the nurseries sell them here! We're in the same county that his great aunt lived in when she had the huge tree so I know they do fine out here.
So I was wondering if anyone can sugest a place to order a tree that would be of decent size, 4'ish and for a fair price?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just read that someone on BYC bought 2 on Gurney's and had fruit the second year. Her raving about it is making me interested! Check out there and see if they have any discount deals right now. Though I think you should wait until fall to order and plant :D

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've liked what I've gotten from ediblelandscaping.com. Their plants are good size (you can get quart, gallon, etc.), good quality, and the prices aren't bad (not super-cheap, but cheap enough that a cheapskate such as myself would consider buying). I've had hit & miss luck with Gurney's. Some stuff is fine, some never really grows.

ETA: I agree with vfem on waiting til fall. I've noticed that I have much better results that way.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Unless you are worried about rambunctious kids or dogs breaking it there's no point in getting a large one. Mulberries are very fast growers.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not worried about kids or dogs... but we live in an agricultural area with neighbors that have cows that like to come visit ours. :rolleyes:
We are also planning to use it as a shade/"fruit" tree but if it grows fast then maybe it'll shade fairly quickly and we won't need such a large tree to start.

Latest posts