Where then? Where to?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@GrandmaDeKorte was talking about the prospect of a home in northern Idaho. Yes, I have lived very close to Highway 54. DB lives north of there.

At one time, I lived just a few miles south of Bayview, a terminus for that little highway. Just a little more than a mile from the "theme park" that is near there. Except, there wasn't a theme park when I lived there ;). My neighborhood off the Bunco Road was part of the valley between the Selkirks and the Coeur d'Alene Mountains of the Rockies. @thistlebloom lives in this part of the world.

The elevation was right close to 2500 feet and, I gotta tell you, gardening with warm-season vegetables was rather limited. Before I moved there I was thinking that even at 3,000 feet elevation, I should be okay. This was early in my experiences in this neck of the woods. I went on a camping trip in nice, sunny weather to a little valley about 50 miles south of where I eventually moved. The coffee in the pot left by the fireplace froze that night. It was the 4th of July.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was telling DW about some of my old neighbors, this week. DW wasn't around in those days.

There was one neighbor that I could count on NOT BEING a very nice guy. Funny that I sorta knew him before I moved there but I didn't know where he lived. My pickup drifted a little far when I was trying to back off the road into my driveway - about 150 yards from my home. I would park the tractor out there and take it from there thru the snow. Stuck across the road, he shows up. He pulled me just far enough that I was stuck more in the ditch but he could drive by. His girlfriend was nice and her son became a friend. He didn't like the guy, either.

Distrusted the guy on the main road altho I worked for him a little. He had pit bulls and rabbits. I didn't understand the connection until I learned of the activities in a gravel pit several miles away. Dog fighting.

Good people otherwise. Two families, I worked for. One had 2 little adopted kids. The kids were African American and the parents (European Americans) worked at the community college about 10 miles away. The had timberland and a long family history in the area. Another family had livestock. Shucks, my nearest neighbor was a cartoonist. Yep. He did drawings for Where's Waldo books. Not kidding! Another family just beyond were kinda independently wealthy but not really. His parents had owned property in Kansas or somewhere and he inherited oil rights and a company was there pumping oil. They were just people who liked rural life and raising some kids out there. I used to show up to watch something special on teevee :).

Then, the neighborhood began to change ... you can do some reading about the Aryan Nation in northern Idaho. I began to have new neighbors from distant places. One invited me to his "church" - if I was of the "right persuasion," he said. This was about the time I moved away (back to that town about 10 miles away) and before really knowing who these people were.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, @flowerbug - I kinda fibbed about visiting so often because I lived about 100 miles north.

However, having put that on here and said that I wouldn't post my redneck bird water with pictures of your lovely garden, this will look very tame:

09F99C29-F1D8-42C5-8FA7-C4C09679B6D9.jpeg

digitS’

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I've taken the plunge to be of some help to the pesky sparrows.

Yes, they are the same ones that destroyed the lettuce crop, last summer! They are very thorough in keeping the aphids off this rose bush.

The gizmo was just sitting around and I did wash it with bleach and dishwashing soap and put a taller handle on it. The foil was to give them a wider perch. It was replaced later with a coil of insulated wire.

:) Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@GrandmaDeKorte was talking about the prospect of a home in northern Idaho. Yes, I have lived very close to Highway 54. DB lives north of there.

At one time, I lived just a few miles south of Bayview, a terminus for that little highway. Just a little more than a mile from the "theme park" that is near there. Except, there wasn't a theme park when I lived there ;). My neighborhood off the Bunco Road was part of the valley between the Selkirks and the Coeur d'Alene Mountains of the Rockies. @thistlebloom lives in this part of the world.

The elevation was right close to 2500 feet and, I gotta tell you, gardening with warm-season vegetables was rather limited. Before I moved there I was thinking that even at 3,000 feet elevation, I should be okay. This was early in my experiences in this neck of the woods. I went on a camping trip in nice, sunny weather to a little valley about 50 miles south of where I eventually moved. The coffee in the pot left by the fireplace froze that night. It was the 4th of July.

Steve
DH and I had 10 acres north of Athol, close to Carreywood and we went to CDA one night for 4th of July and nearly froze when we got home. Had a fire going in the woodstove and cooked steaks outside while DD popped fireworks. I was pregnant with DS.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that may mean a "previous century experience," @Gardening with Rabbits .

Some years I have complained that it never warms up until July. In 2021, we are experiencing record heat in June. That the next couple of days may be worse, probably has us not realizing that the records tied or broken nearby on 27 June were from 2015.

WS LINK

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that may mean a "previous century experience," @Gardening with Rabbits .

Some years I have complained that it never warms up until July. In 2021, we are experiencing record heat in June. That the next couple of days may be worse, probably has us not realizing that the records tied or broken nearby on 27 June were from 2015.

WS LINK

Steve

you can't strip Momma Nature and thicken the air not have her get warmed up.

Latest posts