WHERE to store canning jars?

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in MN. The house is a bi-level where the lower level is heated just like the upper level; and, of course, the garage FREEZES. I really have NO place to store canning jars. I would love to start canning; but, under these circumstances, I FREEZE everything in those Reynolds's vacuum-freezer bags.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We store them in the heated and cooled part of the house in a closet off the kitchen in the utility room. Our house thermostat is set at 71 in the winter and 79 in the summer. There are no windows in the utility room and we keep the closet door closed so it stays as dark as possible. I think we have two jars of pickles and three of green beans left from last canning season, so we do eat it all within a year.

We also use a freezer but we tend to use the canned stuff first, more for convenience than taste. We're going to eat it all anyway, but it is easier to open a jar than to thaw the frozen food.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with keeping preserves in a normally heated house. Just store them in a cupboard (in the dark).

As long as you have followed the proper preservation instructions you will be OK. Just make sure your jars, sealing rings, & tools etc are totally sterilised before you begin & carry out all the prescribed checks as you go along. DON'T TAKE ANY RISKS, DO EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK! :D

Good luck! :happy_flower Enjoy your preserves :old I have been doing it for more than 40 years & have had very few failures. GO FOR IT :thumbsup

:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Full canning jars, or the empties that accumulate?

Full ones go in the pantry. We have a big pantry. I used to put the prettier ones out on shelves in the kitchen, Ball makes those fancy lids. My aunties and grandmother always tied bits of calico over the lids on the jars they wanted to display or give away. Empties go in the closet of other seasonal stuff--picnic baskets, slug traps, etc.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No reason not to store them in the heated part of the house if that's what's available. Under beds works, for instance.

I store the empties right along with the fulls, on the same shelves. Takes less space than putting them somewhere else. I do sometimes put jelly jars inside quart widemouth jars but always end up regretting it b/c then I forget they're there :p

Pat

Latest posts