Where's the Army?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It has been discussed on this forum in the past the concept of the "normal gardening year". The consensus reached seem to be that a "normal year" was an illusion rather than a reality.

For me, living in the deep south, I will remember this as the year of the cicada! Not my first experience with the 13 year cicada, but they sure were loud this year. Moreso than I remembered in the past.

But to my question. I have been composting for many years. Every summer, without fail, the soldier fly larvae bring a certain life to my compost piles. This year, not a single one. I was just wondering if this is a regional phenomenon, as I suspect, or how many other composter's are not seeing the soldier fly larvae this year.?

Everything in my garden has been a bit late in taking off and producing this season and maybe this will turn out to be the case with my voracious, annual visitors, I was just curious if anyone else has noticed a "missing soldier"?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soilder flies must be a regional thing We dont have that particular bug here in New Hampshire...at least I dont thing we do...they arent in my compost pile...things are a bit slow this year but not unusually so...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Soldier flies like a wet stinky compost pile. They like a pile much wetter than worms will tolerate.