WHEW!! PE-YOU!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to a terrible but familiar smell...
I had accidentally left a pot of water simmering on the stove, to add humidity to the dry heated air. It probably didn't take long for it to run out of water, so the pot just sat on the electric burner all night long, heating up the aluminum pot, the Teflon coating, and the calcium deposits that always coat anything that has water in it, and the surrounding area. The boxed food in the cabinet above the cooktop were warm to the touch. (at least the popcorn didn't start popping!)
I feel really lucky that no one left a dish towel or anything else flammable near the burner. Guess that's why my name is "so lucky"!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone, please be careful with the things we have to deal with in winter. That was SO LUCKY that helped you, like a warning.

Sometimes when I go to town, I get a mile past the gate and start worrying about things like, did I turn the heater off? Did I make sure nothing was on the stove? Knowing things like that would bother my mind to the point of distraction, I drive back to check. Drives me bonkers seeing everything was alright and I just wasted the time, gas, and energy, but it is better than the outcome I visualize, a burned cabin, my kids, er, cats... Oh, unthinkable!

On an off topic, Hay Cane, NinnyMary wants to know how to make better smileys. I suggested she pm conversation you about how to do it. Did she do that or has she been too shy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't test your luck like that!

Better to go out and throw your dollar (er) spend a dollar on a lottery ticket!

I've got a little humidifier in the basement. The thing makes too much noise but if it gets down to subzero again, I'll have it upstairs. I used to put it behind the Christmas tree :p, wonder where I can hide & muffle it this year . . ?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dh is always reminding me to make sure I turn the burners off and saying things like "be careful", which annoys me and I roll my eyes (behind his back :D ).

But the other morning, I started to make myself some eggs, dh had just left for work, and I remembered that I needed to put the washed clothes in the dryer, so went down the hall to the laundry room to do that and subsequently got distracted by another chore. I had also started a fire in the woodstove and left the side loading door open for air until the wood got burning real lively. Leaving the room in either instance is a no-no.

Dh had forgotten something and came back in, and found me cleaning the bathroom. :/
He kindly reminded me why we don't do these things and boy did I feel stupid. The worst part was I didn't leave the room thinking I would do this one thing and run right back, I had totally zoned out on the stove and the fire.

My husband is a little sensitive about burning houses to the ground. He had a roommate do that once while he was gone camping. He drove home in the dark and couldn't figure out where his house was.

I'm hoping that this isn't a pattern for me...:rolleyes:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
YIKES!!!! so lucky, smoke from that Teflon coating can be very toxic, damaging your lungs for life. Do you feel okay? No coughing? If you have any symptoms please get checked by your doctor.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, I have read that Teflon is toxic, particularly to birds. I don't think I have any symptoms; maybe a bit of a sore throat, but that comes with sinus drainage. It was a really old pot, and I only use it for "burning water" now. It wasn't really smoking, just hot, hot, hot. If I mention to my DH that we could have inhaled toxic fumes, he will start feeling bad. Don't need that, lol.

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to a terrible but familiar smell...
I had accidentally left a pot of water simmering on the stove, to add humidity to the dry heated air. It probably didn't take long for it to run out of water, so the pot just sat on the electric burner all night long, heating up the aluminum pot, the Teflon coating, and the calcium deposits that always coat anything that has water in it, and the surrounding area. The boxed food in the cabinet above the cooktop were warm to the touch. (at least the popcorn didn't start popping!)
I feel really lucky that no one left a dish towel or anything else flammable near the burner. Guess that's why my name is "so lucky"!

Good thing your house didn't burn down. You are indeed so lucky.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would wonder about the teflon fumes too. Glad everything was ok!

We took off one morning a couple of years ago and DH had left the ash door open on the wood furnace. Came home to a cold house and the red exterior casing of the furnace was blackened and the thermostat for the fan was shorted out. Thankfully the chimney was clean and we didn't have a chimney fire.

I am always double checking the stovetop. The kids keep me so distracted I half expect to forget and leave it on. :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yikes!! You guys are making me nervous! I think we all have so much on our minds...we really need to keep focused! Lucky and thistle- you were both lucky. I don't have a "dangerous" story, but it brings to mind when I am collecting eggs and for some reason, put an egg in my pocket. I have to keep saying to myself, "you have an egg in your pocket". If I don't I go off and do something- and for sure crush that egg! Be careful, everybody!

Latest posts