Which is Better...Peat Discs or Directly in the Garden?

citychickinthecountry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have already tried sprouting seeds by putting them in peat discs (you know, the kit with the plastic container and discs that you add water to so they puff up and gain moisture). After 3 weeks of waiting for seeds, no luck.

Then, I decided to start my seeds in moist paper towels. This seemed to work...they sprouted and THEN I put the sprouts in peat discs in the greenhouse (with a cover). For some reason, the sprouts aren't popping through the surface. It has been about 1 weeks and a half since put the sprouts in the peat.

I also decided to put some sprouts in soil. These seedlings (yellow squash to be exact) have already popped out and are ready to go in the garden.

Do I maybe do something wrong, could my peat discs be too moist (I know that they are being kept warm enough), or should I just plant directly in the garden and call it a day with the peat?

Here is what I sprouted and put into the peat:
Roma tomatoes
Romaine Lettuce
Cherry tomatoes
Zucchini
Snap beans
Cucumber
Bush Beans

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok here's what I've learned....

Eggplant, peppers and tomatoes like heat to sprout. I keep my trays for sprouting on a heat pad on medium heat for a week or 2 to get those to sprout.

I have a terrible time transplanting delicates like lettuce & cool weather veggies so I do those directly in ground. They'll sprout in 50 degree temps just fine for me, and then they thrive well.

I used the peat discs once, but now I just buy the bags of seed starter mix, and use the jiffy pots... I seem to get more for my money that way. :D

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some things in the peat disks, but I'm not a fan. They're either sopping wet or much too dry, I can't find a happy medium.

I had better luck with the Jiffy pots or strips, and then peeling them off later when I repot (or, had I not started things so early, when I put them out in the garden.)

But I'm happiest with the things I just started in potting soil or seed starting mix, and then repotted when they were bigger.

The prior owners of this place left tons of plastic pots, from large round black ones to small 4" squares to 9-packs, so I've been happily filling those with potting soil and poking seeds or seedlings in them.

I think most of the credit goes to the grow light setup, getting that strong light and warmth on the seedlings really lets them take off. (If you search for posts by my username, I've posted pics before.)

-Wendy

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering why you aren't just direct seeding everything...?
Do you have freezing weather this time of year?
Don't know much about Florida, but when I lived in SoCal, I never started anything in a pot, it all went right into the ground.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom is right on- you are in Florida, just put those seeds in the ground. No need to transplant at all. If you have a freaky cold spell, just cover with a sheet...
That sprouting technique is good for old seeds that you are not sure of, or getting ready for hydroponics- but you are ready to plant!
Happy Gardening!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really dislike those jiffy things. I have NEVER had good luck with them, AND they are a PITA to plant because you really ought to slice open the outside mesh stuff in multiple places otherwise you get poor root extension and the plant does badly. They are fun to watch expand when you wet them, but IMO that's about where it stops :p

So, it is probably not really your fault, and if you are getting good luck with other methods then I would say take it as a lesson :)

Regarding direct-seeding into the garden, that works well if you are the type of person who will be verrrrry careful about keeping the area properly watered (not dry, not soggy) and not letting the soil crust over and then coddling the babies along once they sprout til they are big enough to be more robust; and if you either have very weed-free soil OR enough experience to know what your seedlings look like vs weed seedlings. (Planting in rows *helps* tell weeds vs good sprouts apart, but is not always enough). I do think there are a number of situations where it is perfectly reasonable for a person to want to start their seeds in pots/flats/containers and then transplant. (Of course there are a number of situations where direct seeding is perfectly reasonable too -- or MORE reasonable, for transplant-shy things like cukes and beans which I notice the o.p. has on that list. )

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

citychickinthecountry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in central Florida. So no real fear of any more freezes.

I kinda like seeing my plants before they go in the garden. From what I hear (on here and fron fellow gardeners at work) the peat discs are terrible. This is only my third season of a true garden and my first try at a seed only garden.

Heck, I still have time to sow seeds directly in the ground. That will give me a weekend project.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :D

ToxinFreeRainforest

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Not sue if I'm clever, or just cheaper than cheap, but I use toilet paper rolls instead of peat pots. Snip one end in four equal places, overlap flaps, seal with a dab of hot glue and you have instant starter pots! Doesn't dry out QUITE as fast as peat pots, takes up less space so I get more plants in a flat, breaks down well in the soil, the structure is a bit stiffer than peat for handling, and you can even start 'fussy' seeds that normally don't like transplanting (like corn) with no problem since the roots aren't disturbed when planted, AND I'm contributing to reduce, reuse, recycle! (It used to really bother me all the tp rolls that got recycled.)

Just a thought - L

Latest posts