White Butterfly worms

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2009 and 2010 my cabbage and broccoli were decimated by those nasty green caterpillars of white butterflies.

I dont use chemicals on my garden. We use manure from our cows, who eat the grain we raise on our land and dont get hormones or any other injections. The straw in the mulch is from our wheat field too.

So, in keeping with my "all natural" theme, what can I use against these nasties? I know we'll always have them, those white butterflies are thicker than dandelion fluff around here. I'd like to prevent them rather than gross myself out for hours picking the buggers off my plants.....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use row covers... :D

Someone suggested the panty hose method like the melons too!

Good stuff... spray free!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a site that might give you some help, the author is using companion planting to help deter white cabbage moths, and I think there was someone on TEG who mentioned putting panty hose over the individual cole crop(broccoli? cauliflower?) to protect them from egg laying pests. Sorry, I don't remember which category it was posted in, but it was fairly recently.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Companion+Gardening+the+All+Natural+Pesticide-a01073965862

Hope that helps.
You changed your avatar! Nice!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Build you some hoops like this and cover them with Agribon. I've been using PVC and rebar, but I'm switching to the 10' EMT because they look easier/sturdier. If you don't want to invest in the Agribon, I've also heard that finely netted tulle will work, but it's not very durable, only good for maybe one season.

I've started keeping my own personal garden almanac and noted on there that the white moths first appeared May 21st here last year and they stayed until every last broccoli/cabbage was pulled. They are horrible and persistent! Even spraying them would frustrate you and it's an ongoing thing. I think the row cover is the best way to go about it. (Get it on before they appear and leave it on all season.)

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put nylons or pantyhose over the cabbage heads to prevent the cabbage worms/moths....like hukt on fonix...it werks 4 me

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How splendidly simple! Thanks I'll try the hose....and see if DH wants to help me with hoops.

Latest posts