White Cucumber?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone tried growing white cucumbers before, if so which variety did you enjoy? I'm going to try some this year just not sure which variety to try.

Thanks!
Mike

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just looking at them in the Seeds of Change catalog. They look fun! Let us know how they do for you...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Boothby's Blonde (I think that's how it was spelled). They were HUGE producers. The cucumbers were short and fat and seemed to have more of the pricklies than the green ones. I couldn't tell the difference in tast between them and the Straight 8 - but they DID make interesting pickles! Biggest plus - easy to spot on the vines!!! No cloked cukes getting baseball bat sized on those vines. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Often grow a white cucumber from seed I purchased from Evergreen Seed quite a few years ago, Mike.

It is called White Star Hybrid. It makes a nice slicing cucumber and, I'd imagine, pickles.

I grew Johnny's Miniature Whites a couple of years ago and didn't care for them. Keep in mind that I do not make pickles, however.

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies! :)
Canesisters, Good to hear you enjoyed them, are the boothby's blonde cucumber a true white color or are they beige?
Steve,
I'll have to take a look at White Star Hybrid, although I prefer heirlooms. I hear you, I prefer fresh cucumbers to pickles, too.

Mike

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't grown them yet, but another heirloom/OP variety is White Wonder. While not a white variety, I'm trying Uzbekski cukes this year, read that they deal well with heat. The Uzbesksi cukes look almost like russet potatoes (brown skin with cantaloup-like netting.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The B.Blondes were actually more of a yellow skin. They started off very pale and got pretty yellow if I left them too long.

Here's a few from last year.
DSCF0098.JPG

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks great canesisters !
Thanks for sharing the photo

Latest posts