white dogwoods?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew how fast they grew. I got some this summer from the local ag. They are tiny little whips about 1 foot tall and I was wondering how long it would take the to get 2-3 foot so hubby quits cutting them all off with the weed whacker.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dogwoods are slow growers. We got my mom 1 about 3 years ago. Its only grown a little over a foot in that time. My crepe myrtle has grown more then that since last fall.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got one that my hubby has hit with the weedeater every year since we moved here. I didn't plant it, so I don't complain and he just whacks it again the next year. It's never made it past a foot tall. Gotta appreciate it's will to live!

Yeah, they are slow and as far as trees go, they are relatively small anyway. I don't think I've ever seen one over 15' tall.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I've got one that my hubby has hit with the weedeater every year since we moved here. I didn't plant it, so I don't complain and he just whacks it again the next year. It's never made it past a foot tall. Gotta appreciate it's will to live!

Yeah, they are slow and as far as trees go, they are relatively small anyway. I don't think I've ever seen one over 15' tall.
I was about to say, I see them everywhere here.... and they are never very big at all. :/

lorihadams

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Take some black drainage tubing stuff that you put at the end of your downspouts(like my technical description?) and put that around it. It's plenty wide enought to allow the tree to grow but tough enough to keep the weed whacker away.

Latest posts