White pine babies

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We were given 22 white pine seedlings last spring, and spring always being Oh So Busy, I heeled them, in planning on getting them in the ground last fall.

7504_teg_projects024.jpg

Well along came Fall and it too was Oh So Busy,what with some new extra customers (yaay) and then winter descending with a crash in early November. The babies spent the winter in their temporary home.

Sooo... here we are in spring once more and this time I rushed out as soon as the place we were planning on planting was snow free and got 10 of them in their real homes today.

7504_teg_projects025.jpg

Here's a closeup of one. They had poor posture from being heeled in for so long so I loosely tied them to a stake until they straighten out. The stakes are mainly to locate them for watering this summer
and to prevent them getting mowed when the neighbor mows with his tractor. I ought to be able to remove the tie this fall.

7504_teg_projects026.jpg

Note the unique mulch... a moose had obligingly left a deposit near this one, so I took advantage of it! :p

It's still too cold to put any veggies out but it sure was nice to plant
something today. This is our current soil temperature.

7504_teg_projects023.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bring 'em back alive, Thistle'!! :celebrate

Hey, are these the ones that are blister rust resistant? It seems like we heard that story forever and I may be waaaay behind times but have those become commonly available? Or, is the blister rust no longer seen as such a problem?

I have wondered if the disease was just blamed after the lumber barons decided they wanted to take ALL the trees for themselves - years ago. That's cynical of me, I know. They are magnificent trees and were, I guess, magnificent money-makers for the industry, 75-100 years ago.

I remember going thru an old homestead from the depression era - the buildings were falling down after it had been abandoned - and seeing gooseberry bushes. Then wondering what part those bushes played, as hosts of blister rust, in the demise of the White Pines.

Did you have to sign a pledge never to plant currants and gooseberries?
Steve :thumbsup

edited to add: hey, you know, 40F ain't bad . . . all things considered.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Love your "unique" fertilizer! :)
I'm from Newport ... my parents still live in the area. I sure miss it! Texas can't compare!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I don't know about blister resistance, but these were
originally grown by the Forest Service for replanting, so I hope so. An acquaintance gets the excess from the Service
(he's a retired forester ) then he redistributes them.
No, I didn't have to sign a pledge, but I do have a few currants, will that be a problem d'ya think? I would rather rehome the currants than risk my babies.
And the soil temp is up 2* from earlier in the week, so that's encouraging!

Daisy, you mean Newport Washington? That's pretty close, we're in Athol...

Collector, I've been tempted to bag up all the mooseberries and sell them to naive gardeners as an exotic compost! :lol: Hey, I heard of a lady making a killing selling tumbleweeds online!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good! I was wondering what those little balls were!! Nothing like nurturing a small tree. I am always surprised how fast they mature. (If you can keep the deer and rabbits away from them!) Happy Gardening!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
. . . I do have a few currants, will that be a problem d'ya think? I would rather rehome the currants than risk my babies. . .
Gee, I don't know, Thistle'.

Here are a few online quotes:
"The pathogen can spread several hundred miles from pine to currants but only a few hundred yards from currants to pine." U of Illinois Extension

". . . Before planting any gooseberry or currant near a stand of white pine, contact your county extension office for up-to-date recommendations." U of Minnesota Extension

". . . the development of new selections of blister rust resistant white pine, currants, and gooseberries has reduced the problems associated with the disease, and restrictions on Ribes cultivation are being relaxed. There are currently no restrictions on growing currants or gooseberries in Idaho." U of I Extension

S'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
. . . :)
I'm from Newport ... my parents still live in the area. . .
All the way to central Texas, Daisy?! Well, there are pine trees in central Texas . . .

Newport is such a lovely and interesting place. Pretty surroundings and a lot of people probably think that you need to leave town and cross the river to get to Idaho but, that isn't true. One town, 2 states . . . ;)

And the river -- oh, the river!

It is really the Clark's Fork, you know. (Would saying that get me in hot water in Newport :p?) I mean, that is one BIG watershed - all the way from Montana and southeastern BC!!

And, there in Newport -- the river starts running uphill back into Canada! Ha! Well, not really but it doesn't just go north but there's a watershed going south to the Little Spokane River practically within the city limits! You know, if you dammed the river north of Newport, the river would change course and run south!

All just part of our glacial flood landscape I suppose ;).

Steve

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Daisy, you mean Newport Washington? That's pretty close, we're in Athol...
Yup, that's the Newport I mean! :) I have family in Athol, Rathdrum, Post Falls, Newman Lake, SPO, Deer Park..... oh, and Sandpoint. Our plan is to move back north in a couple/three years. I can't WAIT! :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
SweetMissDaisy said:
. . . :)
I'm from Newport ... my parents still live in the area. . .
All the way to central Texas, Daisy?! Well, there are pine trees in central Texas . . .

Newport is such a lovely and interesting place. Pretty surroundings and a lot of people probably think that you need to leave town and cross the river to get to Idaho but, that isn't true. One town, 2 states . . . ;)

And the river -- oh, the river!

It is really the Clark's Fork, you know. (Would saying that get me in hot water in Newport :p?) I mean, that is one BIG watershed - all the way from Montana and southeastern BC!!

And, there in Newport -- the river starts running uphill back into Canada! Ha! Well, not really but it doesn't just go north but there's a watershed going south to the Little Spokane River practically within the city limits! You know, if you dammed the river north of Newport, the river would change course and run south!

All just part of our glacial flood landscape I suppose ;).

Steve
Yes, I really loved growing up there. I miss it very much -- the mountains, river, lakes, TREES, and miss most of the family to-do's, projects, etc. It's time to move back north.

Latest posts