White Sapote??

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So my SIL lives on a piece of land that used to be part of an orchard. One that was planted by a San Diego Univ. Not sure which one. Anyways she has two of the most productive White Sapote trees on her property. She is always telling me I can pick as many as I like because her family won't touch them.
:ya
Any suggestions on using them? I did a google search and they say best used fresh. I was hoping for some way to preserve the bounty.

I am going to dehydrate a test batch this week.

:idunno

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had no idea what this was... just goggled it. Sounds wonderful- like a custard apple, with pear and vanilla flavor!!! What is not to like?? Sorry I don't have any ideas, but I will be interested to hear what you think of them, and how you process them.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well this ins't good news for preserving..

"In processing trials at the Western Regional Research Laboratory of the United States Department of Agriculture, Albany, California, technologists decided that white sapotes; are not suitable for either canning in syrup or freezing as a puree."

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Beavis, I read that too. I think thats why dehydrating is first on my list.

lesa, have you ever seen the movie Under the Tuscan Sun?

g

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't heard of it- but just added it to my Netflicks! What if you used them in baked goods and froze them that way? Already made?? They look awfully juicy for dehydrating- I hope you figure out something, or at least enjoy them by the bowl full!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry, the only reason I asked was because of your avatar. There is a scene early in the movie with an Italian woman in a hat similar to yours. She is rubbing a baby chick on her cheek. Just stopping to smell the roses if you know what I mean. Anyways, your avatar reminds me of it.

gina

Mary Ross

Sprout
Reaction score
I've been freezing pureed white sapotes for years. I use them in any recipe in place of pumpkin; pie, bread, cake - especially Pumpkin Praline Torte. This year I've frozen it in ice-cube trays to use in smoothies.