Who do you like for berry plants?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My favorite standby, Nourse Farms, is sold out of some varieties I wanted for mid/late blueberries and purple raspberries. They do these really nice big 1-gallon sized bareroot plants for reasonable prices. I'm not getting my tax return $$ for a few more weeks, and most of the recommended retailers on Dave's Garden only sell dinky little 3 1/2" pots that won't fruit for, like, ever.

Anyone else you like for a good variety of decent-sized berry plants?

I really wish DH had not mowed/weed-whacked my poor plants. They were clearly marked with ribbons, I have no idea what he was thinking.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I really wish DH had not mowed/weed-whacked my poor plants. They were clearly marked with ribbons, I have no idea what he was thinking.
:gig That reminds me when I was a teenager, my mother planted some trees (they were weed-sized) and I mowed right over 'em. I swear, they weren't much taller than the grass. Rosalind, can you believe my neighbor's husband mowed right over 6 peony bushes that were fixin' to bloom? Those things cost $24.99 each at a local nursery! If the property owner knew her beloved peonies would be mulched-o-matic'd, she would have dug them up and taken them with her.

Sorry, I can't answer your berry question.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe it. Normally DH is not bad, but when he gets on that riding mower, he goes nuts with it. This year, he is buying me berry bushes, and he says he will put in edging around them so he knows where they are. I think he is going to flip his lid when he finds out how much they cost, but oh well.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well atleast if he has to pay for them maybe he wont mow them off next time ? :rolleyes: You may want to as a local grower if you have any near you . Sometimes they will sell you some of their baby plants for a decient price. And they are usually pretty good ones too.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Allow me to join the mowed down club. :p

DH mowed down a live oak sapling and a small dogwood tree that he WATCHED me dig holes for and put in the ground.

"Those were trees? They looked like dead sticks."

UGH

Cassandra

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can you guys stand another mowing story? I have a beautiful Shasta Daisy out front by the driveway. We do not have mulch around it but my DH "swears" he knows it is there. One day I noticed that it was being slowly chewed up on one side and I blamed my DH for it with his ride-on. He says that he doesn't touch it and thinks it is dying off. I watched him one day on the mower. He went around the plant with the mower deck away from it, but the side where the cutting comes out was running over the plant!!! :barnie We will be mulching around it this year.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is why I want to dig up all our grass and replace it with some sort of ground cover or landscaping that doesn't need mowed. Or wildflowers in the backyard. It seems fairly obvious that a significant number of spouses cannot be trusted to wield a lawnmower safely. If DH was told, "go mulch the flower beds" and he dumped six inches of mulch on a prize rosebush, the rose would survive after I dug it out. The mower, it's just too dangerous.

peeps7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can try bloomingbulb.com, I like them alot. They sell fruit roots and all kinds of bulbs. :happy_flower

Latest posts