Who to order from? Help please.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I have decided to order 2 Harry Lauder Contorted Hazels for DH. Now the problem is who to order from. I have stacks of catalogs and have found what I want in 5 of them. But only Jung's has the Red Dragon one. With Jung's also being least expensive for the reg. one @ 25.95 and the red @ 39.95.
My other finds are: Kelly Nurseries 34.99, Famers Seed 34.99, Four Seasons 29.99 and Burgess 34.99. S.H. runs from 8.99 to 11.99. All offer 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 foot bare root stock. I would love to get a bigger potted shrub at a local nursery but did not find any around here last year so did not want to wait and see for this year. I am leaning towards Jung's as they have the red also and best shipping price. What do you think? Any one have good or bad experience with Jung's? THANKS

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jung's has been good to me. I had a problem w/ plants from there one time & they sent new plants very quickly.
Geez.Tells ya how much my Sis values my thoughts .. she'll ask a bunch of "strangers" before me ...
:hide wait for it ...

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know Steve likes Jung's. I would order what you have been looking for and not settle for less. Besides Jung's has the best price.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do like Jung's. I ordered from Shumway when I was a kid (delivery via Pony Express) but felt like I'd graduated to Jung's. They seemed to have just about everything I needed.

Then, Jung's bought Shumway and a bunch of others :\. It's okay. They have a broad selection.

Consolidation was the name of the game for century olde Burgess, too. They own Farmer's. Maybe some others that you are looking at, Carol Dee. Who Owns What (LINK)

Steve
who needs to admit that he buys very few plants from anyone so seed is his experience

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That price seems high for a bare root plant. I should look through my receipts from last year and see what I paid for a 4' shrub. It was a red one.
If you need it soon for a gift you will probably have to mail order it. But many nurseries would be willing to add a shrub for you onto an order they're making. You may be able to call around now and see which nurseries are gearing up for spring shipments. Around here they are not open yet, but getting plants ready for spring, and answering the phone.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That price seems high for a bare root plant. I should look through my receipts from last year and see what I paid for a 4' shrub. It was a red one.
If you need it soon for a gift you will probably have to mail order it. But many nurseries would be willing to add a shrub for you onto an order they're making. You may be able to call around now and see which nurseries are gearing up for spring shipments. Around here they are not open yet, but getting plants ready for spring, and answering the phone.
I wondered about that. Worth a few phone calls.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jung's has been good to me. I had a problem w/ plants from there one time & they sent new plants very quickly.
Geez.Tells ya how much my Sis values my thoughts .. she'll ask a bunch of "strangers" before me ...
:hide wait for it ...
:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb:plbb

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
On second look @Carol Dee , those prices may not be bad at all.
I haven't gone through my receipts, and since the one I bought was for a client it could have been expensive and I wouldn't have felt the ouch.

I looked online at what Monrovia has, just the green "Contorta", but it is own root.
3.5 gallon for $79. They only deliver to participating nurseries that sell their stock, so that would be a hunt. There didn't seem to be too many places that carry them, so you've probably sorted the best ones out already.

So, not real helpful after all.

Latest posts