Who uses chickens for tillers?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Great question!

I don't use chickens for tilling as much as I do for weed abatement. I've got a huge area of the backyard that is usually full of very dense weeds and very difficult to mow. Since we've allowed the chickens back there not a single weed!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use chickens for clearing my garden.

If I have some old Bean Plants that I already harvested, I use my chickens to kill the plants, (great entertainment) fertilize the dirt, and eat the bad bugs.

Why waste the plants when the chickens can eat them.

Boy is it entertaining

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thats why we went with a tractor(chicken that is).

In the spring we will concentrate the tractor in the area we will garden in. Also we will be growing corn for feed and food and will set the little buggars in the rows to help with the bugs. OK I know thats like getting the wolf to guard the chickens !

TerrasCritters

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Right now I am fine with the chickens digging in the garden, but once I have the plants planted and the seeds in the ground it drives me nuts seeing they got my newly sprouted plants lol so I try to fence off my garden but they keep finding a way in lol next spring I will have to work it out better. I love them digging in it now and turning the dirt for me ;)

Kentucky~Momma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We don't use our chickens mainly because they don't want to go back that far! :lol: . Our garden is on the very back of our property so it is just not somewhere they have ventured, yet.... (We get to the garden by riding in a golf cart or driving a car back) We instead barter with a guy at church who will come over and plow and disc it each year, along with our chicken poo, we have access to cow manure and the saw dust and ash from the tobacco barns in the area. All of that worked in and the garden is getting better and better!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ummm, people - I sense an urge to turn all the innocent gardeners who sign onto this site into Chicken People, like us.

What will we Chicken People stop at? Cooking forums (coddled eggs today)? What's next - crafting forums (what can we do with all our feathers...)? Heaven help the un-chickened person who sees this forum.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Shallots said:
Ummm, people - I sense an urge to turn all the innocent gardeners who sign onto this site into Chicken People, like us.

What will we Chicken People stop at? Cooking forums (coddled eggs today)? What's next - crafting forums (what can we do with all our feathers...)? Heaven help the un-chickened person who sees this forum.
shhhhh.... Part of my whole strategy with this site is to get it popular enough with the gardening community that we can secretly bring them over to the dark... er.. um... feather side!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Shallots said:

shhhhh.... Part of my whole strategy with this site is to get it popular enough with the gardening community that we can secretly bring them over to the dark... er.. um... feather side!
WOW!!!!! I haven't been in this forum for 2 days and now there are a hole ton of people that rejestered!!!!! :woot

mudmum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I always use my chickens to scratch up the weeds before I plant new seeds and seedlings, then when the plants are established and tough, i may let them in once in a while.

Latest posts