Why do I have mushy strawberries?

Emsevers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted some strawberries this year that I got from a neighbor. I have a whole bunch of strawberries ripening right now and they look perfect but when you bite into them they're kind of mushy and mealy(sp?). I'm really disappointed. The only thing that I can think of is that we've been having a ton or rain lately and I know that in the past that's ruined my tomatoes and made them mushy. Is this what's happening with my strawberries or is there something else that could be causing this?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would say it's probably the rain... After the 2 weeks rain we had recently mine were very soft, bland and spoiled quickly. The quality improved after things dried out a bit and now they're great. Also, some varieties are better keepers than others. I have Sparkle for my junebearers and they are a soft berry anyway.

Emsevers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I might try to refrigerate them and see if that makes them edible. I'm not even sure what kind of strawberry that I have. I need to ask my neighbor. I'm pretty sure that it's the rain, now that I've been thinking about it all day, that's causing them to be mushy. I'm hoping that the next batch that comes on will be better.

Ellie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes usually water and especially standing water

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Strawberries continuously absorb moisture when ripening. They say that is when they need water the most... however, they can over do the absorbency thing too... and thus, become mush.