Why do my coneflowers wilt so often?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I transplanted several coneflower plants in mid-April. Some have set on buds, but every other day they tend to wilt badly, and some wilt every day? What would cause this? Watering revives them, but I'm wondering whether there is a root system problem that will cause them to die when it gets hot? My lavender had a problem, and I had to move it, and it is doing better, but I have nowhere to move these coneflowers...

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's the leaves of the coneflower plants, the whole plants, that wilt, not just the buds. I wasn't clear in my post. The leaves get so droopy. Are the roots not pushed out into the surrounding soil? I'm thinking maybe the roots stayed in the rootball and did not reach out into the surrounding soil, though I gave them plenty of water, initially, too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My coneflower sometimes wilts. So, does the gaillardia growing beside it.

The gaillardia has more of a problem altho, it seems to get by well enough to have nice blooms. You may know, it's a native plant and even grows wild here.

The coneflower has been in the same location for years. I think the gaillardia started from seed on its own but I've had them in the yard years, also. There are plenty of other plants nearby. I think that they are too crowded. As well, sprinkler water doesn't reach either very well. Could competition be the problem for your plant, GardenGeisha?

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe air pockets around the root mass that allow it to dry out too fast. Is it planted next to a mole run or some varmint hole?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, so lucky. No, it's not next to a mole run or varmint hole, I don't think. One or two do wilt more severely than the others. I have about 15 clumps. They are not as close together as they were in the other garden. You may be right about air pockets.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, catjac. There won't be a next time for transplanting. I had to get these out of the front bed first, as the management is putting rocks in. They would have been killed had I not taken the plants out now. Mulch is a very good idea. Thank you. What kind of mulch?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, catjac. There won't be a next time for transplanting. I had to get these out of the front bed first, as the management is putting rocks in. They would have been killed had I not taken the plants out now. Mulch is a very good idea. Thank you. What kind of mulch?
I like using last years leaves.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good to know, catjac! Thanks for the info.