Why Do They Do That?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
when covering for a driver the only time i use the jake brake is coming down a steep grade other wise its turned off.... it messes with floating thought the gears, floating is where you do not use the clutch to shift gears up or down.
as for the straight pipes it helps on fuel economy when a big rig only gets 5-7 mpg every little bit helps . you see more box trailers out there with trailer skirts, trailer tails and aluminum wheels and super single tires this all adds up to fuel savings to the operator.
and yes more and more communities are banning the use of jake breaks with in city limits , and i agree with that who wants to hear that noise at 3 am and hear every dog start barking with in a mile because of it..

around here we have to deal with which way the wind is blowing, this will determine which way the morning or evening flights depart or arrive at gso, the fedex cargo planes go over the house and you can see the pilot and we are 11 miles from the airport. and then you got to love when the air force does it's training exercises slow and low, transport/ helicopters/ fighter jets. and then there is air force one that is either do touch and go or when your president decides to visit thats turns everything into a cluster f with in a 20 mile radius.

grrrr don't get me started......

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red
My mother's house is right next to a mcdonalds. Right.Next.Door.
I used to walk the 60ft to work there, some trees between, but not enough of a buffer by a long shot!
Neighborhood went to heck soon after they built it. The tons of trash all over my mother's yard every days was and still is insane!! She started to leave the trashcan open by the sidewalk so people would dump it properly. But some still just chucked it out their cars while they drove by. Disgusting...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to live on a dead end road. Though we've had people say they drove by our house and didn't stop, we knew they were joshing. That was nice! Quiet! Dark! Scary!

Now we have a moderately busy country road. Except for a couple of teenaged boys up the road who like burning rubber and probably drag racing and a motorcycle or four in the summer, the road is mostly quiet. Besides, we are off the road a bit and have a break of evergreens between the road and ourselves.

Our biggest problem with the road is its distance from McDonald's to the West and McDonald's to the East. We happen to live exactly a meal away from both and our roadside is often littered with bags, wrappers, and cups from one of the stores. That and drinkers who toss their cans along our road. The cleaner we keep the area in nice weather the less people think about trashing it. But during winter, the roadside and snow piles hide our neat, and trash seems to grow overnight.

My MIL has a serious problem with litterers and dumpers. A fake camera and "this road is under video surveillance" sure put a stop to that!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have wondered of the jake breakers have friends who live in one of the neighboring houses. Or enemies, ex-wife, etc.

One thought I have is to make a big sign that says "Please no jake breaks: Baby sleeping" or something like that. Maybe be honest and say "Cranky senior citizen trying to nap"

Since we live in the county, I doubt if there are any ordinances against this kind of noise, but one of these days I may get irate enough to call the county commissioner's office and ask what can be done.

We get our share of trash out here, too, but at least it doesn't make noise when it hits. Except for that time a toilet fell out of the back of a truck on the road.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is a sparsely populated county road about a mile from my house. A good portion of that stretch of road is zoned for commercial, but it was an area where young drivers liked to show off their stuff and it had a lot of truck traffic. Residential lots have ten acres or more. The county has posted 'Noise reduction zone - citations will be issued for loud exhaust, ( and something about brakes that I can't remember)', but probably this jake brake you are referring to.

I would file a complaint, sometimes it's very easy to do online with some government offices. You never know, other's may have complained about it also, it may take numbers.
When I had to deal with issues in our city I would contact all council members with a letter, letting them know that I am a long term resident. And it would be sad for good people to leave the area over something that may take a simple thing to fix. If you mention wildlife or environment in my city, everyone jumps off their chairs. :)

Good luck, I hate for you to be miserable in your country home! :hugs