Why do we live clear out here in the middle of nowhere?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Because where else can you be pruning your roses and watching several hawks play in the breeze and sing to each other at the same time? Where else can you take your dogs on a hike along the creek and flush a bunch of wild turkeys out of the brush? Where else can you be holding your horse for the farrier and have a momma wild pig and her 3 babies run through the pasture practically underfoot? Where else can you be sitting outside around your fire pit and hear what sounds like 500 coyotes howling their earily beautiful chorus? Where else can your daughter look out her bedroom window to see a full-grown cougar walking along close enough to touch? While there are certainly drawbacks and inconveniences, I can't think of one that amounts to a hill of beans compared to the amazing beauty we live in here! We are so very lucky!!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man, that does sound like you are in the middle of nowhere! From your location, I was imagining lots of chocolate chip cookies, not cougars! lol Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Because where else can you be pruning your roses and watching several hawks play in the breeze and sing to each other at the same time? Where else can you take your dogs on a hike along the creek and flush a bunch of wild turkeys out of the brush? Where else can you be holding your horse for the farrier and have a momma wild pig and her 3 babies run through the pasture practically underfoot? Where else can you be sitting outside around your fire pit and hear what sounds like 500 coyotes howling their earily beautiful chorus? Where else can your daughter look out her bedroom window to see a full-grown cougar walking along close enough to touch? While there are certainly drawbacks and inconveniences, I can't think of one that amounts to a hill of beans compared to the amazing beauty we live in here! We are so very lucky!!!!
You want to adopt me...?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Wanna trade places?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The middle of nowhere is the best address of all. That's where I spent the happiest years of my life.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i could say i'm close to living like that. i get to hear the coyotes on occasion in the woods up the hill from my house. there's a big field bordered by woods where there is a farm of alpacas nearby. i'm able to have my chickens and found out recently i can actually keep my roosters! :p i haven't seen a mountain lion but there was a bear that took a stroll to downtown a couple years ago and that wasn't far from my house. we have deer and wild turkey that my neighbors say travel to and through our yard. i haven't been up early enough in the mornings to see them i guess. i'll have to watch my fruit trees when they start producing because i'm sure they will make more frequent visits! i do sort of wish i was a little further out of town so i don't have to listen to all the traffic running by our street.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yuck! The sound of traffic makes me crazy, Chickie! All we hear are nature sounds, but occasionally we hear a loud truck or a plane or something. Nothing like in town, though. Sometimes I go sit outside and just listen to the birds and the breeze rustling the oaks and pines. Of course, I work in a very loud environment (special education teacher at a high school), so coming home to peace and quiet is like therapy.

Hoodat - very happy years indeed! Don't know what I'll do when we can't take care of this place anymore.

BJ - we've seen several around here and also in the mountains above us. They are very illusive so usually you only get quick glimpses of them, but the one in our yard was just sauntering along. She also tends to stroll down our dirt road, etc.

Major, Baymule, and Catjac - you are certainly welcome to come stay with us. We love to have company. Especially right now when we are doing our yearly cleaning and possibly painting a couple of rooms! lol

Lucky, there are plenty of cookies around here, but those darn elves just love to make messes in my house and not clean them up!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wild animals are quick to find out the "safe zones" where people mean them no harm. It's surprising how close they get once they pick up on it. I used to hear coyotes pacing me in the brush just to one side of the path, then suddenly I'd go around the curve and there it would be, sitting in the road and grinning at me. Guess it wnted to see if it could startle me. The Indians were right when they called coyote "the trickster".