why does my entire yard smell

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
well i did get a beer at the grocery store and put it in the ground to see if it would grow maybe its rooting

ya think

i smell this funk like every couple of months and its like smelling beer thats been sitting out for like a year
Do you have standing water around you?! A pond maybe? Occasionally our pond (and several others) natural 'turn' and lots of blooming bacteria come to the surface to die or mate. It smells HORRIBLE!

Just a possibility!

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
the only thing i can think of in regards to water is that my yard is harldy ever really dry but its not sloshy in fact when it rains too much my toilets overflow cause there is too much wetness in the front and backyards

someone told me to pour lime all over the yard

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
the only thing i can think of in regards to water is that my yard is harldy ever really dry but its not sloshy in fact when it rains too much my toilets overflow cause there is too much wetness in the front and backyards

someone told me to pour lime all over the yard
Now were getting somewhere. trees, leaves, wet soil, and Leach Fields!

I think we found it!

Joe

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
what could i do to take care of the problem cause i smell this like 5x a year

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I thought that this thread was going to be about plants, so I thought I'd add the "Illinois Weed Tree" to the thread.
It's called, Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima), and I've seen it grow 5 ft/year. Here's some info about it--
http://www.museum.state.il.us/muslink/forest/htmls/con_ex.html
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/top_ten_invasives/images/tree_of_heaven.jpg

I've cut a lot of them down--they aren't impossible to kill, because even without herbicides, if you keep cutting them you WILL kill them at the trunk. What I HAVE done with them is:
1) cut & burn 'em--the smell like pot when they burn (yes, my post is relevant to this discussion)
2) cut, dried the saplings and used them to stake tomatoes

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
what could i do to take care of the problem cause i smell this like 5x a year
I planted some trees out past the leech field in our yard. Apples, peaches... things like that, most importantly... moisture loving bushes, trees and ground cover!!!

I have creeping Jenny, creeping charlie, some weeping willows... things that just LOVE the swampy area. Luckily we have a pond that some drains into.

During this winter, we've planted clover around the orchard area to help keep the muddiness down AND this helps deter the voles we have in the area.

I would definitely think moisture loving ground cover!

Latest posts