why I am GLAD that it's so darn cold!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last night got down to -33 C (-27 F), and the next couple of nights should be same or colder.

But I am glad, yes GLAD, because you know what? This is almost certainly the coldest part of the winter now. Historically, the lowest average and record lows around here are in the 2nd and 3rd wks of January, and there's not much of any chance of getting lows below about -26 C once that's past.

Which means that once this bit is past, it will be, on average, IMPROVING weather from here on out. Woo hoo, headed towards spring!

Anyone wants to argue with me, go away, I don't wanna hear it :>

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Methinks thou dost protest too much ;)

Ok, ok--that's a great way too look at it! The old farmer saying around here is, "When the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen." So, at least there's more daylight as you suffer through your/our coldsnap. That is crazy cold, though! I just keep thinking of all the bugs and pests dying. Die, garden enemies, die!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I just keep thinking of all the bugs and pests dying. Die, garden enemies, die!
ROTFLMAO!!!

That is priceless.... I will think that from now on. Too bad this is our coldest weather yet and its 44 today. Though it does get in the low 20s and even teens at night... should be over by next week though.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gotta love Cali. It is magical. And being so close to San Diego you got one heck of a growing season.

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lord help you Pat. Weather that cold should not exist. I'm glad I've never experienced cold like that but I STILL dream of your snow...just for a few days.

:bun you- in front of a fireplace!

Claudia

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
O.K. Enough already!!! -22 below zero this a.m. _32 with windchill factor. Going to be worst(not wurst):gig tonight! Hurry spring! Everyone stay safe. My coop lights are on 24 hours a day now. Nice and toasty. Think of all the nasty bugs going away in this weather.:weee

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
sparks said:
O.K. Enough already!!! -22 below zero this a.m. _32 with windchill factor. Going to be worst(not wurst):gig tonight! Hurry spring! Everyone stay safe. My coop lights are on 24 hours a day now. Nice and toasty. Think of all the nasty bugs going away in this weather.:weee
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry!!!!

Just so everyone doesn't get mad at me... I lived in Connecticut for 15 years and then moved to New Hampshire on the Maine Border for a year before I came south. I've lived through some nasty weather and I was just DONE with it!!!! Especially after one bad season working in a ski resort in North Conway Mt. Washington NH. :rant