Why I Have No Broccoli

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am considering this year a total learning experience, because so far, I haven't gotten to harvest anything. I think I've lost all my big, beautiful broccoli plants, as well as the cauliflower, to this beast, captured here by my husband:

2611640496_09aedf7da3.jpg

I've sprayed a soap solution on the leaves, but apparently that didn't work. I'm not sure if the plants are done for completely, but they're fairly ravaged.

Maybe next year I'll invest in row covers.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Take the picture of the critter to your local cooperative extension office - they can likely ID it for you and tell you how to foil its nefarious plans.

For some bugs, they climb onto your plants at certain times (morning or evening, or when the dew is on, etc), and if you water about that time you can rinse them off. some kinds of bugs can't navigate through straw or grass clippings, so if you put that around the plants, it can stop them... but you need to know what it is and its habits. There are lots of books on natural pest control.

Good luck!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks like the Cross-Striped Cabbageworm to me. It may be something else but that's my best guess.

freshfood makes a good suggestion and they should be able to identify the pest for you.

They will (hopefully) recommend a common control like Bt to control them. It's a safe control that won't harm beneficials.

Latest posts