Why leaves REALLY drop in autumn

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting thought, It might excrete waste matter when the leaves fall. I doubt though that this is the main reason for dropping leaves in the fall. Food for thought for sure.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You had to post this, Bid, and ruin our views of autumn foliage, eh?

I'm learning a new word:

senescence n. - the organic process of growing older and showing the effects of increasing age.

Would we say that the vines of an early variety of potato dying back on the 1st of August is a result of the plant "going potty?"

I can agree that it isn't just temperature. And, the dang locust trees shed leaves constantly during the growing season. I think the leaves just become too old for proper functioning. If toxins build up in the tissue, perhaps it is just because normal circulation has ceased. It may be what leads to tissue death, however.

. . . just a guess, tho' ;).

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow that article was interesting for sure. Gives a new meaning to fall leaves. But i agree with Collector i don't think that's the main reason why they shed their leaves. I wonder if the excretion has anything to do with the color of the leaves? I still do think that the fall leaves are beautiful :D .

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting theory. I would think anything they excreted, they would just take back up again though, especially in a forest where the leaves would be concentrated. And what about evergreens that never shed their needles? IDK

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree it probably isn't the main reason leaves are shed, but a thought provoking theory on the function leaves serve in the overall life cycle of trees. Evergreens do shed, just not all at once like deciduous trees. Some conifers hold on to their leaves for longer than others, sometimes several years, depending on the particular species. :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny thing I've been thinking about this since yesterday. It does make sense that the tree does need to get rid of toxins that it pics up from the soil, water, and air. What a better way to do it than put the unneeded waste into the Leaves before they drop. We also have 8 evergreens that are constantly shedding needles. Now instead of going out and raking leaves we will be raking up tree poop LOL.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We loved to jump in the leaf piles when we were kids. It's kind of a let down to find out we were playing in tree poop. :sick

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH Brian here:

The problem I have with this theory is the trees would be pooping in their own food source. And as we use leaves in our compost then we would be intentionally adding poop to our food source. Unless the process of composting naturally breaks down the toxins. I don't know. Needs more research.

Latest posts