Why would my leaves start to turn light green/yellow?

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have new boxed gardens with really good soil in them...
Now the problem is that on my pumpkins, cucumbers, squash and a couple other things... the leaves are turning yellowish/green. Now I can't tell if it's too much watering :watering or not enough watering. Not enough sun??? :coolsun
Which that could be up here in :rant Washington!
HELP!:dance

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we need more info and maybe pics. it could be anything from a mineral imbalance to whiteflies, etc, etc..

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, if the leaves are drooping, you can check for lack of water.

If you haven't watered in 3 or 4 days, but a handful of the soil is soggy, it's too wet. Does water pool on the ground? What's the soil like under what you fill the beds with?

I know you guys have had a slow starting growing season. So too little sun, too cool of temperatures, and maybe too much moisture, could be a problem.

I noticed that the plants are all like-kind. Are you growing any other types of vegetables, and are they also affected?

I'm sorry that you are having this problem!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think Tutter hit it right on the nose.

If the leaves are wilting also, it's usually a sign of too little water or a wilt disease.

If the older leaves are turning yellow but the new growth seems fine then this may just be normal. If all the leaves or the younger leaves are turning yellow then this may be a bacterial disease.

Question, what soil medium are you using in your beds? It may have been depleted of nutrients as beefy suggested.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have had the same problem here in Oregon with my cukes and some of my squashes. I think a lot of it is due to the cold weather and rain. The last few days my plants have looked better but I do have some winter squash that are still yellow looking. I have lost several cuke plants and a melon plant due to the cold weather.

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, I'm right there with nubsmum ( :throw ) it's been cold up the in the Pacific NW!!! Too cold for the garden to grow... well at least the things I like to eat! So I'm limpin along :old

I brought in all new soil from a reputable place... a mix of many things.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
All my squashy things look really bad too (in Oregon.) It's just been really cool. On the bright side my lettuce and beets look fantastic.