Why

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been raining on and off all day. I just heard the lawnmower and went outside to find one of the guys cutting the grass. I told him you never cut wet grass, he said why I said I don't know why. Is it just a old wise-tail or is there a reason ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might as well be scientific about it.
http://www.lawncare.net/mowing-wet-grass/

I've been doing it recently because I don't have a choice but I generally draw the line when water is standing. I don't like to do it because the wet grass can stick under the mower housing. That wet grass can cause rust. I don't bag or mulch, just throw it out the side. It bunches up and leaves great big piles of grass that can smother the grass if you don't rake them up. I also have to clean it more often because it gets clogged. Of course my grass is big enough it could be cut and baled if you could get it dry. I think it tends to tear the grass more than cut it when it is wet but I'm not sure about that.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't think it is so much for the benefit of the grass, but for the mower. You certainly can't mulch or collect wet grass, and even if you are throwing it, it tends to clog the underside. Additionally, the grass it throws tends to come out in clumps. Then, you have these little dried grass balls on your lawn in a few days. Looks terrible.

BTW...we just got a warning for flash floods....chance of up to 2" of rain in thunderstorms this afternoon, but they don't look like they are moving up through Westchester County, so you should be OK Nyboy....but not to cut grass! ;)

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner ... you posted while I was writing. I didn't know that disease spreads quickly when the grass is wet. Fungi and bacteria love nothing more than water for moving around.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
like ridgerunner said it will clog the mower's deck and once done you have to wash out the underside of it, makes a heck of a mess grass clipping looks like a long green turd on the lawn
and as well if the mower is a big zero turn it can leave ruts in the lawn...

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have about 1 1/2 acres to cut, maybe a scutch more. I still use a regular size 22" walk behind lawn mower. Great exercise in the summer, but tough on the mowers. I have two of them so if one breaks down, I have the other one while I'm repairing the first, or (dread) have to send it out for repair.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess cutting 1 1/2 acres with a walk behind you save on gym memberships . Here is a confession I have never sharpened or changed mower blades . my lawn is mostly cut weeds.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
dh cut our lawn yesterday. today it is finally raining after a very dry spring. i threw some of the clippings to the chickens yesterday but now the piles i missed are all clumping.

i always thought you shouldn't mow when it's wet because it could be a slip hazard. my animal science teacher in high school had been using his walk behind mower and had slipped on the wet grass and his foot went under the mower deck. lost part of his big toe since he was wearing sneakers. i'll have to remember the bacteria/fungal issue too.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
At my size, I could still use a gym membership! We always have extra blades and change them about 3 times a year. We let the local hardware store sharpen them for us.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those things already mentioned....the difficulty of mowing wet grass that clumps under the mower, but also it can turn the grass brown and damaged looking if cut while wet. Don't know why that is, but it does. I think it's because, instead of a clean cut, the blade is more likely to just beat the grass off as it slides over the wet grass, causing more damage than if it's cut cleanly and quickly.

Latest posts