Wierd Cherry Question

Yoko

Sprout
Reaction score
Im new here and i dont know a thing about planting cherries,and i want to plant some,but i wanted to know,is ther a way to having a cherry bush?cause im not sure if i want a whole cherry tree,they seem big,please some help would be great for me and my wierd question :fl

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Bush Cherries

The Nanking cherry (Prunus tomentosa) is one of the most popular bush cherries, growing to a mature height of 10 feet. This deciduous shrub bears white to pinkish flowers early in the spring. The half-inch diameter, tart, red fruit are similar to sour pie cherries and make excellent pies, jellies, and jams.

The Nanking cherry makes an excellent windbreak for home gardens. Its relatively short height makes it easy to protect from light frosts in the spring with a tarp or blanket.

Hansen's bush cherry (Prunus besseyi) is somewhat more drought tolerant than the Nanking cherry. Small, white flowers that blossom in the spring produce purplish black fruit on a 4- to 6-foot shrub. The tart, tangy fruit are used in pies, preserves, and sauces. The silvery green leaves turn crimson red in the fall, making it an excellent multipurpose shrub for landscaping and fruiting.

Improve your chance of success by planting in heavily composted soils. Good luck!! ;)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep--there ARE cherry bushes. I have a bunch of them. The cherries are pretty small and tart, more like a nice snack to eat out of hand. I would really not want to bother for freezing, but maybe some would be willing... I have Nankings and another variety whose name I cannot remember. VERY hardy--they even produced the spring after my husband rudely, abruptly and carelessly transplanted them :coolsun

Yoko

Sprout
Reaction score
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! :celebrate thats alot more then i know :clap

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i could help you out with bush cherries. i have 4 bush cherries planted called hansens bush cherry. In my opinion their not all that sweet or anything, i think i should of planted the nanking variety instead but i suppose the hansens would be good for canning or made into pies etc..
Maybe the weather has to do with how they taste? The hansens has flavor but is missing sweet taste.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've learned a whole lot here that I didn't know before! Cherry Bush... blows my mind! :p

I would like to know about how big the Hansen variety gets? I think they would be wonderful to dry and bake in my cookies?! Can someone make a suggestion on a good time to plant one, and when they would be available to get? I think I'd like to try something that gives fruit on the side of the house.

Latest posts