Wild blackberries

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bears hang out wherever they want. I'm sure not going to argue with one. :gig

Seriously, bears like berries, chickens, garbage and other things. Your garbage is a lot more of a magnet for bears than a berry patch. But the majority of us aren't really concerned about bears. Other than bears that get addicted to garbage they tend to avoid humans. My brother in law caught a bear on a security camera not all that far from here but I go walking in the woods and such without even thinking about them. To me ticks are a greater danger than bears.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
BEARS in IOWA !!! No problem here. The TICKS and POISON IVY ....now those are BIG problems. :(

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our neck of the woods in Washington , blackberries are a HUGE problem for farm business operations. The wild ones are all over the place along neighboring fencelines, wooded areas, and wet lands so birds spread the seeds onto the farmlands which cause all types of crop maintenance issues .... so the farmers have to use chemical warfare or face a net loss in their operations.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've about given up on growing the tame, thornless blackberries. They just haven't produced well for me. I hear they are more prone to disease when wild blackberries are nearby, which is the case here. Now the wild blackberries, they are EVERYWHERE and produce like crazy, gallons and gallons of free berries for the taking, if one is willing to put up with a few scratches and picking them on a hot, sweaty summer day. I think they have a deeper flavor too. So wild blackberries it is. :)
Don't forget that rabbits like to hide in black berry brambles and chiggers are rabbit parasites. Nuff said. :barnie

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not to be a kill joy but don't bears hang out in wild berry patches ?
Bears live around here, you get used to them(black). No different then living where bobcats, or mountain lions, wolves and coyotes are. You grow up knowing how to be smart and stay safe. It isn't something you don't tend to worry, think, or stress about, it is just part of life, it doesn't phase you. (grizzlies would scare me though :hide:hide)

Latest posts