Wild Flower Bouquets

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wanted an idea of a price in mind for what a bouquet of wildflower bunches would go for. It would be a mix of snapdragon, pestemon (sp?), yellow and purple coneflower, and some blanket flowers and maybe some daisies if they open already! :lol:

I would probably do a bunch of small bunches, then a few 2-3x that size.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have penstemon growing wild, V? We have Indian Blanket flowers that are natives - funny, they look almost exactly like the Portola Giants growing in my yard :).

The farmers' market price for most anything depends a great deal on supply. I would be very reluctant to sell any bouquet of cultivars for less than $5. Very reluctant . . .

A nice bouquet for $10 is reasonable and common. A large bouquet for $20 is close to top price.

As far as wild flowers, probably better think about 30% or so, less. A varied bouquet with species that will last several days could be a sought-after item. It has been a long time since I've collected any wild flowers for the market, however.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Problem is my wildflowers are carefully cared for and wanted... as they are not really wild... I put them here! :lol: The penstemon does grow kinda crazy wild here, and I have to keep splitting and moving it since it gets so huge and heavy with bees.

Mainly what I have is Arizona Blanket flowers, purple cone flowers, 3-lobed mini yellow cone flower, blue and purple hydrengea, and Black Prince Snap Dragons. I do have one huge park princess dahlia, but we'll see as I like cutting those for myself. ;)

In a couple weeks I will have a ton of red cannas as well. I would sell those as huge bunches themselves. And then I will also have your basic big yellow sunflowers. I have about 20 going well, with more that probably are a few weeks behind as they are growing in rounds, and completely voluntary! :bouquet

I guess I should do more looking at the size options. I would have never dreamed to go over $10! :weight I have to go see how many buckets I have to put water in for saturday too.... I kind of went crazy and drilled a bunch of holes in my buckets to grow potatoes in... oops!!! :hide

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem..Could we see a picture of a bouquet? This would help us to see the flowers and how big it is.

I personally always buy flowers at our farmers market or grocery store every week. I just can't bear to cut my flowers in the garden to bring inside. I don't have that many so I need them out in the garden.

I never like to spend more than $10 though.

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea! I will go cut me a bouquet... which I LOVE doing! :D Then we can see what the size and type would do well as.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok here's a good size one I think will work well. It was fun to collect this. :D So what do you think. Some this size, and maybe 2-3 larger ones?

14084_img_5063.jpg

**Ignore the orchid, that's not part of it... that's my mother's day present. **

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Don't know about prices, but I think these will sell well. What a great idea! I had totally overlooked this idea for supplemental income, now that I have room for flowergrowing. And the great thing is, with the perennials, cutting the flowers can just make the plants grow better! Now I'm remembering another idea I once had of growing catnip, and selling stems for cats to play with, or making c. filled cat toys.

How will you sell - wrap plastic bag around bottom to catch water or what?

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm remembering now that a co-worker used to sell her tulips to a florist, so that may be a market for the bouquets, as well as farmer's markets, if you have a lot to sell.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very beautiful! :rainbow-sun

You could even arrange them in a fruit jar, add some rafia or a gingham ribbon/bow and charge a little more for it. Around here they would sell for $7-8 but the tourists would pay $10-12, adding the fruit jar and country touch would add a few bucks onto that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Beekissed has it right, V!

Here is a tiny little tip: Give the flowers several hours. They are living things and will "arrange" themselves! It helps if there is a light above them. You will see, they kind of sort themselves out and stretch a little towards the light, so if it is somewhat directly above them, they will lift themselves towards it.

So, you might put together bouquets and leave them on a lighted porch overnight. It takes just a very low light. By the next morning, Mother Nature will have added her own touch to the arrangement!

Orchid? How does one ignore the orchid ;)?

Steve

Latest posts