Wild Persimmon Trees

Iona's Orchard

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Found a wild Persimmon Tree! Pretty excited :) It's not on our property, but now I really want to go looking!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iona's Orchard said:
Found a wild Persimmon Tree! Pretty excited :) It's not on our property, but now I really want to go looking!
I have one persimmon tree - probably an exercise in futility here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin, but I fell in love with the taste when I lived in Oregon and decided to take the risk. Catalog says it is hardy to zone 5, but I usually discount their claims as a selling ploy by one zone at least. Still, it is growing (I suspect from below the graft) so I may have a wild tree myself.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most wild persimmons are either male or female. We planted two and got lucky, one of each. This will be the first year we get some fruit. It won't be enough for jam or anythinhg like that but I'm looking forward to having some just to eat.

Have you heard how you can predict the winter weather with a persimmon seed? If you shave the persimmon seed you can see an eating utinsel. If you see a sppon, you will be shoveling lot of snow. If it looks like a knife, the wind will cut through you like a knife. If it looks like a fork, it will be nice enough you can work the ground. To be honest, I haven't checked it out.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Most wild persimmons are either male or female. We planted two and got lucky, one of each.
Interesting...I never knew that. :cool:

I've noticed that some around here are much more heavily loaded with fruit than others (although, I guess any with fruit would be female then.) We have several on my Dad's farm, but the fruit is up so high and they drop to the ground so sporadically, it's next to impossible to get enough for jam. The deer always get them first. :/ I have a neighbor that I don't know well that has one in her front yard that is so loaded. I thought I would ask her this year if I could have some, but just the other day she cut all the lower limbs off of the tree! I guess I'm just going to have to plant a couple of cultivated varieties if I ever hope to make that jam...

Latest posts