Will mediocre seeds ALWAYS bear mediocre tasting fruit?

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sure, I know you save your best seeds to plant. However, my garden got off to a late start and I had these 75+ plants that sprung up from some cantaloupe rinds I threw out, that were in the way. I transplanted them to an out of way site, hating to waste any possibility. Got to thinking, the seeds from any melon I considered really good last yr.are still in my freezer. Has anyone had fruit that was better than the "parent" fruit? I'm keeping them, as any cantaloupe is pretty good to me and the chickens, and I've got the space, but wondering wheter to get my hopes up.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Because the eating quality of a fruit (or veg) depends not just on genetics, but on how the plant was grown and when/how harvested and how treated post-harvest, it would not be especially astounding to have better fruit than the parent seeds. Especially if the parent fruit was from a good stable line *but* was bought at a supermarket or grown in a tough year.

I don't see any reason not to keep growing 'em on, and if you like 'em, then there ya go :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts