will tomatillo's and tomatoes cross pollinate?

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just as the title states... would it be safe to save seeds from the tomatillo's if they were close to any variety of tomato?

By the way, I'm so glad I became a member here, You guys have ben a wealth of knowledge!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have any knowledge about tomatillos . . . . but, :caf:

Tomatillos are Physalis philadelphica.
Tomatoes are Solanum lycopersicum.

It doesn't seem likely to me that they would cross pollinate.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hola, what do you do with your tomatillo's? I think a bunch of mine reseeded from last year, and I haven't the slightest idea what to use them for...

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, it's my first time growning them and using them, I plan to make lots of fire roasted green salsa to can, and then of course some can go into chili verde along with some anaheims and jalepenos, and if there are any leftovers, I'll probably stick them in the freezer for mexican food uses... I'll be looking up recipies soon!

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 4 tomatillo plants that I bought on a whim this year...they started producing recently, and so far we've just been chopping them up and adding them in w/ fresh salsa....mmm. :)

If I get enough ripening at once I would like to try a small batch of salsa verde...

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should never cross pollinate, same basic family but different genus..

Is there any use for them other than salsa's?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
lesa said:
Hola, what do you do with your tomatillo's? I think a bunch of mine reseeded from last year, and I haven't the slightest idea what to use them for...
I think I posted the same thing last year, when my 2008 Tomatillos reseeded themselves. :lol:
I saved them for seed. I think I may grow more next year, but I knew I wouldn't be organized enough to harvest them AND everything else on time. :p

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
They should never cross pollinate, same basic family but different genus..

Is there any use for them other than salsa's?
You can use them for green enchilada sauce too!

Good to know I can save the seeds! I'm so excited, they are just starting to form in the husks! Yummy dinners here I come!

Raiquee

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mine never cross pollinated, cause I was a "one of everything" gardener this year, and only got one plant. Well, they need 2 to fruit! :th Ripped out that sucker, it was growing so nicely too! *dang!*

Latest posts